Blue Mottled Orp x Lavender and others help.

Newchickontheblock3

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2022
Wondering about color genetics . If I took my blue mottled Orps to my Lavender orps what would that look like? Also, if I took my black spangled orps to the Lavender what would that look like-I'm guessing all black ?

It would be interesting to know if there is an app regarding color genetics of birds.

TIA

Wondering about color genetics . If I took my blue mottled Orps to my Lavender orps what would that look like?
Some black chicks, some blue chicks.
All carrying mottling but not showing it.
(Chicks that carry mottling will sometimes show white dots in their early feathers, but generally not in the adult feathers.)

Also, if I took my black spangled orps to the Lavender what would that look like-I'm guessing all black ?
Probably yes.

It would be interesting to know if there is an app regarding color genetics of birds.
Have you already found the chicken calculator?
http://kippenjungle.nl/chickencalculator.html
https://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingCQ.html
There are a few versions, with minor differences. I don't think this is all of them, either.

The basic idea is that you can change the genes in the dropdown boxes, and the little chicken pictures change too. You can tell it to calculate offspring from two parents, or you can just put in the genes you expect the chicks to have and look at the picture & description of the result (for example, a chick with one mottled parent and one non-mottled parent would have Mo+/mo for the mottling gene. I can change that gene in the dropdown box, rather than setting one parent to mo/mo for mottled and the other to Mo+/Mo+ for a chicken that doesn' t carry mottling, and then making it calculate what chicks.)

The default genes, when you first open the page, are the ones marked with +
Those are the wild-type genes, the ones found in the wild Red Junglefowl ancestors of modern chickens.

Some versions of the calculator let you do things like choosing parent colors from a list of images, rather than trying to work out the right genes (some of the images seem to be missing right now, which makes that much less useful than it otherwise would be!)

Back
Top Bottom