Archers! Hunters, target shooters, all types of bows

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
I love to shoot archery, and I when I saw the gun shooters thread pop up I figured I should start an archery one. I love archery and am working to improve. I am currently only able to shoot when I'm at camp in the summer, because there's not enough space where I am. Might ask for a bow for Christmas though, there's an archery club near me. At camp I'm shooting at 40 yards and to get my next award I need 130 points in 5 consecutive rounds. I shoot with a traditional bow with a weight of 60ish. (I"m not great at bow mechanics, so I'm not always sure what I'm talking about) I've never tried hunting but at the aforementioned archery club they have open shoots sometimes, and I've ran their course which has a bunch of foam animals to shoot at. I think even if I was good enough to hunt I wouldn't want to, as I would hate killing animals, but I fully support hunting as long as it's done legally. I've used compound bows before and wow, are they neat! But in the end I prefer traditional.

I love to shoot archery, and I when I saw the gun shooters thread pop up I figured I should start an archery one. I love archery and am working to improve. I am currently only able to shoot when I'm at camp in the summer, because there's not enough space where I am. Might ask for a bow for Christmas though, there's an archery club near me. At camp I'm shooting at 40 yards and to get my next award I need 130 points in 5 consecutive rounds. I shoot with a traditional bow with a weight of 60ish. (I"m not great at bow mechanics, so I'm not always sure what I'm talking about) I've never tried hunting but at the aforementioned archery club they have open shoots sometimes, and I've ran their course which has a bunch of foam animals to shoot at. I think even if I was good enough to hunt I wouldn't want to, as I would hate killing animals, but I fully support hunting as long as it's done legally. I've used compound bows before and wow, are they neat! But in the end I prefer traditional.
I learned how to shoot a bow on a recurve but never got good enough to hunt. I was raised in a bow hunting family; Dad, Uncle, cousins.... It's a good hobby...maybe I should pick up one again for some upper arm conditioning! Ha,ha! This is a great topic that I can enjoy reading. 👍
My son hunts with a compound bow and does a real good job at keeping the freezer full of venison. I use it in place of just about all ground beef recipes, chili, spaghetti, hamburger helper, meatballs, meatloaf...oh gosh let me go defrost some!

I learned how to shoot a bow on a recurve but never got good enough to hunt. I was raised in a bow hunting family; Dad, Uncle, cousins.... It's a good hobby...maybe I should pick up one again for some upper arm conditioning! Ha,ha! This is a great topic that I can enjoy reading. 👍
My son hunts with a compound bow and does a real good job at keeping the freezer full of venison. I use it in place of just about all ground beef recipes, chili, spaghetti, hamburger helper, meatballs, meatloaf...oh gosh let me go defrost some!
That's super cool! (side note- I was typing and before I realized it I had typed 'sooper' instead of 'super' lol) I love the idea of the excitement and difficulty of hunting things, tracking something down and picking the exact right moment to shoot, it's just the 'killing animals' part that I couldn't do. I think that hunting is really cool, don't get me wrong-but I could never do it myself. I am proud of my upper arm strength, I think that it's improved with a summer of shooting and I'd like to start working out again.

That's super cool! (side note- I was typing and before I realized it I had typed 'sooper' instead of 'super' lol) I love the idea of the excitement and difficulty of hunting things, tracking something down and picking the exact right moment to shoot, it's just the 'killing animals' part that I couldn't do. I think that hunting is really cool, don't get me wrong-but I could never do it myself. I am proud of my upper arm strength, I think that it's improved with a summer of shooting and I'd like to start working out again.
Sooper,souper, super...ha,ha! Don't worry I'm no spelling police; sometimes I can barely speak English much less spell it. Sometimes I type faster than I spell!
My cousin used to competition shoot with a compound; he's really good but I never got into that much. I'm weak as pond water now days I probably couldn't shoot a compound set at the lowest. LOL! But now you got me thinking I should get back into something more taxing than chicken keeping as a hobby. I almost forgot how enjoyable bow shooting can be.

Sooper,souper, super...ha,ha! Don't worry I'm no spelling police; sometimes I can barely speak English much less spell it. Sometimes I type faster than I spell!
My cousin used to competition shoot with a compound; he's really good but I never got into that much. I'm weak as pond water now days I probably couldn't shoot a compound set at the lowest. LOL! But now you got me thinking I should get back into something more taxing than chicken keeping as a hobby. I almost forgot how enjoyable bow shooting can be.
I have limited experience with compound bows, but I guess I prefer traditional because that's what I started with? By traditional bows I mean these:
traditional bow.jpg

(Not my pic-from internet) But I use much more substantial ones. I definitely didn't misread that as 'my cochin used to competition shoot' must be all that chickening I've been doing lately.

I like archery! Right now i have a recruve and air bow. (One that uses c02)
I plan to use my air bow for upland game birds and rabbits. ( its legal to hunt them with an airbow where i live)
I want to get into bow hunting. But would use a long or recruve as i prefer old school over compound. (One reason my muzzleloaders are percussion and flint lock lol)

My husband has a traditional recurve made by Bear that was his dream bow, and we finally got him one for his birthday last year. Beautiful bow and well made, 60#

Before that we both had some lesser/cheaper brand name bows that were traditional recurves, but they were effective and he managed to even get game birds mid-flight and squirrels with it. I ended up with one much too strong to pull for me. We lost those bows in our fire so getting him his dream bow was special.

I once had a Barnette (I think that is the brand) crossbow I absolutely loved but same thing - it was lost in the fire. Before that I shot as a kid with a Matthews compound in school archery - not the best at it but really enjoyed it.

I make selfbows and my own arrows, even though I am hunting with a crossbow at the moment.

I eventually want to get back to hunting ad shooting with them again, but I am way to busy to limit myself right now. The little bow is my favorite design. I was meant to be a copy of a Blackfoot bow measurements but I got lost in bow design and vereed of course to make it draw 26" at 55#

Attachments

• Bows.JPG
    Bows.JPG
    217.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1073.JPG
    IMG_1073.JPG
    237.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1052.JPG
    IMG_1052.JPG
    367.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1087.JPG
    IMG_1087.JPG