Arduino Incubator

Mister B

Songster
8 Years
Feb 7, 2013
NW Alabama
Ok, so my last project, an automatic waterer did not work as well as I wanted it. It watered, but continuously. I think there is an air leak in my system,

Anyway, not one to be held back, I am jumping onto another project, I want to make an Arduino powered incubator. I want to have the Arduino switch a light on/off when my thermometer says the temp is too high/low. I have the idea how it works, I know enough about electronics, I can set it all up. I just have trouble with the coding. Anybody out there have any idea how to write the code? I have code for my thermometer and it works fine. I just need to turn the light on/off with the Arduino.

Got the Arduino working. I have to make a few adjustments to the temperature where the light comes on and off. I need to get a relay to turn on the light on and off. Should be working in a few days (whenever the relay comes in). I have it set up so that an LED will come on and off at the right time. The thermostat has a variance of +/_ 0.5 degrees, so it should work fine. I will let you know when eggs hatch! If you want a list of material and the Arduino sketch, just let me know.

This sounds like a great idea. I'm new to the chicken world, but I've been messing with electronics for a while. Never arduino, though. I've always wanted to make something with arduino, and I'm hoping that automating the chicken coop would be a good combination of hobbies.

Keep us updated on your experiments!

what kind of temperature sensor are you using?
does it have LCD od 7 segment display with temperature setting/reading?
pls post some more informations.
Regards,
Velimir

Sorry for the delay. I'm using a DHT22. I do not have an LCD, I am not that adept at bending the Arduino to my will. RIght now, I can get the Arduino print out to my computer and turn on an LED when the temp is a certain amount. I am waiting for my relay to come in so I can make a light come on. Here is the sketch as it is now. This just prints out the temperature in F. I can't find the one that turns the LED on. I think I just added a line or two. If temp is <100 turn pin 13 High. Else pin 13 low. That makes the LED on/off based on temp. I can change the pin number and make the relay work.

// Example testing sketch for various DHT humidity/temperature sensors
// Written by ladyada, public domain

#include "DHT.h"

#define DHTPIN 2 // what pin we're connected to

// Uncomment whatever type you're using!
//#define DHTTYPE DHT11 // DHT 11
#define DHTTYPE DHT22 // DHT 22 (AM2302)
//#define DHTTYPE DHT21 // DHT 21 (AM2301)

// Connect pin 1 (on the left) of the sensor to +5V
// Connect pin 2 of the sensor to whatever your DHTPIN is
// Connect pin 4 (on the right) of the sensor to GROUND
// Connect a 10K resistor from pin 2 (data) to pin 1 (power) of the sensor

DHT dht(DHTPIN, DHTTYPE);

void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600);
Serial.println("DHTxx test!");

dht.begin();
}

void loop() {
// Reading temperature or humidity takes about 250 milliseconds!
// Sensor readings may also be up to 2 seconds 'old' (its a very slow sensor)
float h = dht.readHumidity();
float t = dht.readTemperature();
float F;

F=t*9/5+32;

// check if returns are valid, if they are NaN (not a number) then something went wrong!
if (isnan(t) || isnan(h)) {
Serial.println("Failed to read from DHT");
} else {
Serial.print("Humidity: ");
Serial.print(h);
Serial.print(" %\f");
Serial.print("Temperature: ");
Serial.print(F);
Serial.println(" *F");
}
}

I put this project on hold until I have more time. I got a simpler solution to work, just used a water heater thermometer. I have it steady at 100F. I think this setup, though, would be much more stable for a wider variety of boxes. Perhaps I will make a setup you just plug a light into and sell them.

Sir can I ask for the list of materials and sketch and circuit of this project? I'm new to this but I want to make this project. Thanks.

Well, it is still a work in progress. Right now, I need to get some more parts. The sketch above works, but would need some tweaking. I stopped this project and went to an analog setup. Here's what I have so far.
Material:
Arduino (I have a uno. I guess any would work)
DHT22 Temp and humidity sensor. (I have the temp working, but not the humidity.)
Relay shield (pick one. I got one with 2 outputs. Be sure it is rated for mains)
Lamp part ( have no idea what it is called, just the part you put the bulb in)
Wire ( rated for mains. I took a cheap extension cord apart)

That will make it work. I added these parts too.

Switch box (not sure of real name, blue box they put wires in and a switch for your house. Lowes 30 cents)
Computer Fan

I want to add a servo as well to open and close a vent when the humidity is above a certain level.

I am also interested in building an Arduino incubator. I was wondering what kind of light bulb you planed to use. I would suggest putting a delay in your program between when your light comes on and goes off to prevent your light from flickering too much and popping the filament.

The Arduino is on hold. Right now, my water heater thermostat is working fine. The plan was to use a 100 watt bulb, but those are gone. Actually all incandescent bulbs are going away. Not sure what I will do.

Back
Top Bottom