Are adult male muscovy ducks too dangerous to tame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics

BigRedHenny

Chirping
Jul 22, 2021
Los Angeles
How dangerous are the claws of an adult male muscovy duck? If I wear thick arm length leather gloves, thick sweater, and denim pants will I still be at risk of being scratched by their claws? I plan to trim their claws for safety just like trimming cat and dog nails. And I have Quick Stop styptic powder in case I accidentally cut their quick.

My plan is to tame an adult male muscovy duck as an indoor pet.

I can build a four foot high roost perch for an adult Muscovy duck so that he can feel safe because an avian veterinarian said birds in general like to be up high to feel safe. This can help with the duck feeling safe and secure indoors.

This photo from Reddit is my inspiration:

20B62C35-2C14-4A8B-B070-49DF2F2F3E6C.png

Last edited:
None of them are dangerous - a wild one maybe - but a domestic one wouldn't necessarily be anymore dangerous than any other domesticated animal. Their claws can scratch that is true. But, I've been scratched by chickens and my runner ducks as well - my dogs, guinea pigs, hamsters, etc... It's just what happens when you have animals.
Ducks do better in pairs. I am not against house ducks, but please research a lot. You will be dealing with duck diapers and not only will you need to know how to handle your duck, but so will anyone else who cares for it when you aren't around.
I can pick up my muscovy drake and he will sit on my bare arm. But, it's not something I do often or for long. No one else would be able to pick him up (or would want to pick up a huge muscovy drake).
He is not a house duck, but he is infatuated with me - which somedays is very bothersome especially when he wants my attention and I'm busy doing chores.
So, please do a lot of research.

So let’s say I do decide to get one adult Muscovy duck regardless of it being male or female. I can build a stable roost perch out of wood that is at least four foot high. If I place the adult Muscovy onto the roost perch, will it feel safe and secure as opposed to being on the floor? Would this technique help tame the Muscovy? An avian veterinarian told me birds in general feel safer up high.

Also, when the Muscovy poops, does its poop go straight down onto the floor? Or do Muscovy release their poop sideways which means I need to protect the walls? I need to plan how to place the newspaper around the roost perch.

you can tame him and he will be an amazing pet, the problem is ducks NEED atleast one other duck at all times to be happy. they will also need to be outside during the day, they can still be indoors at night though

Dogs are pack animals too but some people have only one dog and they turn out fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom