Are all chickens this friendly?

bkbuz1987

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
Sometimes, like when I open the run door, I wish my chickens were a bit more afraid of me. I find myself doing a chicken step and avoiding toes because they are all so attracted to me.

My Roo, Ralphie, does his little dance and I pick him up to give him a scratch under wattle. The B-Orps are so friendly and yes loving that when I put them down after some sctratching they tuck thier feet up (I'm guessing to be held longer) and sometimes fall over. The Reds and Ameraucanas try to sit in lap and enjoy thier scratching too.

Are all chickens this friendly? I did pick these breeds because they are docile but I had no idea how friendly they'd be.

Let me put it this way - my one BO is the only one that WILLINGLY lets me hold her. Because of that I bought 4 more BO chicks. I just love how friendly they are. You are lucky. Some of mine still get freaked when I go to pet them (bought them older) but the chicks love me.

Yep, some breeds are more friendly than others, that's for sure....Light Brahmas are very trusting if you treat them right!
thumbsup.gif

bigzio

I have an EE girl who just loves me and crouches for me to pick her up and my RIR roo who has always been interested in me but the other EE girls and RIR girls just arent so friendly unless they think they are getting treats but they still wont let me pick them up . But still, every time I see them running at me from across the yard or road I have to laugh. "Hey there she is! Go! GO! Go!"

Last edited:
I have a huge number of very friendly birds. Should have seen me today, laying crossways on the hammock with one hen on my knee, one on my stomach and one up on my shoulder, plus two more who wanted up but there was no room. I'd sometimes like to sit on the hammock alone, but that's not happening.

Problem that I have with my brahmas is when they all start gathering around me for attention I accidently step on their foot feathers. They act all indignant as they pull their foot away.
They added a new detail to their trick of knocking at the back door. Tonight when I opened it six of them marched right in! I have got to get a pic!!
To answer your question, 16 of my 18 brahmas are friendly. One of my roos and one of the hens would prefer I keep my distance.

Well, mine come running to me in the morning when they see me coming because they know they are getting out of their coop for some free ranging time. If I don't jump out of the way fast enough, they stampede over me
gig.gif

Then when they see me heading any direction remotely (even if I am 500 yards away) towards the feed bin area they stampede again, expecting feed and/or treats. Usually they get their way.

What can I say, they trained me well.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom