Are all chicks vaccinated

I also have a ton a sparrow and northern starling a very invasive species of bird they will not leave

What in particular is it that you're worried about with sparrows? Short of wrapping your run with netting dense enough to not allow them to get in, there isn't much else you can do. Some diseases that wild birds carry, like Marek's, are blown on the wind from their dander, so you can't keep it out of their run. The Marek's vaccine helps with that, so you don't have to worry about the wild birds.

What in particular is it that you're worried about with sparrows? Short of wrapping your run with netting dense enough to not allow them to get in, there isn't much else you can do. Some diseases that wild birds carry, like Marek's, are blown on the wind from their dander, so you can't keep it out of their run. The Marek's vaccine helps with that, so you don't have to worry about the wild birds.
I don't think my birds are vaccinated for Marek's but oh well 🤷‍♀️

To clarify, @Ilovemychicks08 , are your birds/chicks getting sick, or are you just concerned that they could?
Medicated feed may prevent an outbreak, it will not treat an outbreak that has already occurred or is occuring. Whether you use medicated feed or not (personal decision that each keeper needs to make based on their own circumstances) the way immunity is obtained is by being exposed to low levels of coccidia, low enough their immune systems have a chance to deal with it without becoming ill. Medicated feed has low levels of medication intended to keep the numbers low so that can happen. I have also raised many, many batches without medicated feed and have not had illness occur. There is no one single right answer. If your chicks are actually getting sick then you need to treat with full strength medication (Corid or other amprolium meds most commonly, or for some strains toltrazuril or sulfa) since medicated feed does not contain a large enough dose to actually treat a full blown outbreak.

Back
Top Bottom