Are all chicks vaccinated

Does anyone know if chicks from Cackle Hatchery in Wi, are vaccinated for coccidiosis. And does anyone know how to test chicken for pullorum typhoid?
In Virginia anyway, where we used to live, birds (chickens and turkeys anyway, I don't think waterfowl) going to any kind of fair (state or county) had to be pullorum-typhoid tested. It was done on site by taking a few drops of blood from the wing (guess that was an easy place to get it) and treating it with a test solution. The person who did it was licensed (I believe) and provided with the test kit, but had to make himself (or in this particular case, herself, the person who did it in Virginia raised and showed Salmon Faverolles and wanted to test her own birds) available to the county. I imagine other states have a similar system. I'd check with your county agent/county extension. I suppose a vet could do it, but most vets are dog and cat people and don't work on other animals. Most good hatcheries are members of the NPIP and their breeding flocks are regularly tested and certified pullorum-typhoid free.

Does anyone know if chicks from Cackle Hatchery in Wi, are vaccinated for coccidiosis. And does anyone know how to test chicken for pullorum typhoid?
In Virginia anyway, where we used to live, birds (chickens and turkeys anyway, I don't think waterfowl) going to any kind of fair (state or county) had to be pullorum-typhoid tested. It was done on site by taking a few drops of blood from the wing (guess that was an easy place to get it) and treating it with a test solution. The person who did it was licensed (I believe) and provided with the test kit, but had to make himself (or in this particular case, herself, the person who did it in Virginia raised and showed Salmon Faverolles and wanted to test her own birds) available to the county. I imagine other states have a similar system. I'd check with your county agent/county extension. I suppose a vet could do it, but most vets are dog and cat people and don't work on other animals. Most good hatcheries are members of the NPIP and their breeding flocks are regularly tested and certified pullorum-typhoid free.

Cackle only vaccinates if you ad it when you order your chick's. They also guarantee all their poultry to be pullout free. Also, unless another cackle hatchery has popped up, they are located in Lebanon, MO. Don't know of a Cackle in WI. Also, you will find no better hatchery than Cackle. I have never hard any chick of any kind ever die over twenty years of getting chick's from them.

Have you asked the hatchery directly about coccidiosis vaccination? They would have that answer. The coccidiosis vaccine is less commonly done so not a lot of hatcheries do it. Probably because you can get around the problem easily by feeding medicated feed instead of relying on a vaccine. Get them some medicated chick starter and they'll be fine. It targets coccidiosis directly.
If you started out giving non medicated food, can you switch to medicated?

I buy vaccinated chicks so I do not have to feed /treat with chemicals the birds, that I will eat eggs and meat from. Coccidiosis can strike all birds not vaccinated or treated with chemical additives. Cheap insurance and pesticide free food.

I buy vaccinated chicks so I do not have to feed /treat with chemicals the birds, that I will eat eggs and meat from. Coccidiosis can strike all birds not vaccinated or treated with chemical additives. Cheap insurance and pesticide free food.
By the time the birds are giving you eggs and meat, they are no longer eating medicated feed. It's only fed to baby chicks. So the point is moot. But even if they did eat medicated feed when full grown, it's safe to eat the eggs and meat as per the FDA. You're using the word "chemicals" to make it sound all scary and evil. But that's what the vaccine is, too, and you don't seem to have a problem with that. You also seem to equate medicated feed with pesticides, which just makes no sense. "Chemicals" aren't intrinsically evil and aren't all in the same bucket.

By the time the birds are giving you eggs and meat, they are no longer eating medicated feed. It's only fed to baby chicks. So the point is moot. But even if they did eat medicated feed when full grown, it's safe to eat the eggs and meat as per the FDA. You're using the word "chemicals" to make it sound all scary and evil. But that's what the vaccine is, too, and you don't seem to have a problem with that. You also seem to equate medicated feed with pesticides, which just makes no sense. "Chemicals" aren't intrinsically evil and aren't all in the same bucket.
I worked in the chemical industry and was licensed by the state for about 25 years as a category three license holder. Thousands of chemicals are used in foods, on crops, as deodorants and for unending numbers of uses. Thousands have not been tested for safety. While many are also common in nature many are lab created or compounds untested for their impact on the environment or under tested, and mostly tested only by the chemical companies. We all use many every day. I choose to reduce that, primarily because I have witnessed first hand the lies, deception and dangers of many of the common used chemical compounds the industry fosters. Monsanto salesman at a seminar many years ago told us that Roundup Herbicide broke down into simple and safe salts in sunlight within 30 minutes and he would take a drink if he had some in the meeting room, because it was so safe. Few asked or thought about the impacts it would have on the environment or questioned the safety to humans. The profit agenda begets misinformation, concealments, lies and deceptions and are what they rely on to market new products. Coccidiosis is easier to prevent than to treat. A true vaccine is a largely natural substance , with a carrier often added. Do not think the new fake vaccines with mRNA are actually vaccines or natural at all. A major dictionary changed the definition of vaccines this year to allow this lie to go forth unchallenged by them. Yes traditional vaccines may contain some other ingredients that are preservatives, carriers and etc., but in a very tiny amount ,usually one time. You can maintain Organic status from most agencies with the vaccine but not with non organic feeds or medications. That is a real business thing now days for organic producers. BTW I used treated chick feed for many years. The use of unnecessary chemical additives now , is something I choose to avoid. If a bird gets sick I may use medications if the bird is savable and not for eggs or meat. The main preventative coccidiosis chemical is a pesticide for prevention of the pest causing coccidiosis. I do not think it is terribly dangerous to people. I just choose not to use the product the chemical corporations are selling for feed additives or support them and their industrial farming practices or products. You are free to use whatever for whatever reason you choose. I studied disease of public health importance and worked with an Entomologist from the WHO back in the 1970's as a health field services inspector. I am not ignorant about disease, vaccines, or chemicals, especially pesticides and chemicals used to prevent pest/disease. I also am not ignorant about the many millions of dollars the big corps use to misinform and mislead the public while pushing their profit centers represented by chemicals and compounds. Treated feed is likely safe to use as directed for coccidiosis. However it would not surprise me to find out years from now, that it was the undetected cause of an unexpected consequence. Keep the birds in a clean coop, allow for fresh air, clean wholesome and balanced diet and clean water and most problems are avoided. I choose to get the Marek's and Coccidiosis vaccinations in my purchased chicks so I can feel they are safe from imported disease and feed clean untreated and often home grown feeds to my chicks/flock. You do what is best for you. I will not attack you for medicating your chicks as you see fit, with whatever chemical you choose.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom