Are all ducks come from the Mallard or are there other wild ducks that other duck come from?

So I was skimming thro story guide to raising ducks and this came to mind. Might be confusing, but worth time to ask.
All common breeds (Pekin, Rouen, Cayuga, Swedes, Runners, ect.,) meaning the ones that have been bred for thousands of years and were heavily domesticated in Eurasia are of Mallard descent. The only domestic breed that isn't descended from Mallards are their close cousins, Muscovies. There are many other duck species, but they aren't considered domestic by most standards. Mallards (and Mallard-descended breeds) can hybridize with Muscovies to produce (an almost always sterile) hybrid, which are called different names depending on which parent is which and the gender of the duck itself. Hope this helps!

ok Thanks! Just generally thinking that like pekin, Swedish, etc are the domestic ducks in AMERICA there where other domestic ducks other places, but I guess not. Thanks!

So, the mallard derived breeds include:
Indian Runner
Swedish
Crested
Appleyard
Pekin
Roen
etc

And then the non-mallard(I'm pretty sure these are non-mallard) ducks that I can think of are:
Muscovy
Mandarin Ducks
Wood Ducks

So yes, most domestic ducks are derived from the mallard.

So, the mallard derived breeds include:
Indian Runner
Swedish
Crested
Appleyard
Pekin
Roen
etc

And then the non-mallard(I'm pretty sure these are non-mallard) ducks that I can think of are:
Muscovy
Mandarin Ducks
Wood Ducks

So yes, most domestic ducks are derived from the mallard.
Yup! You are right!

Back
Top Bottom