Are all frizzles really "frizzly," I thought these were but now I'm not sure...

nah their frizzles, the reason as to why they aren't "frizzly" as to say, is because only about half the clutch is born with the feather mutation to curl the feathers. You could have a visually frizzled male and female produce "normal" (not frizzled) chicks. Just because they don't have the frizzly feathers doesn't mean they aren't frizzles ;) their adorable by the way! :)

Frizzled refers to a gene that causes the feather to grow curling out. If they did not inherit the gene they are not a frizzle. It is possible one of their parents is but it looks like they are not. Frizzle is a gene trait not a breed.

Last edited:
So am I hearing correctly that these could have been born with my three really frizzle ones but they have a recessive "frizzle" gene?!?!? If they were mated would they produce frizzle offspring?

I do know that Frizzle is not a breed but a gene. What breed would they be?

No. Its the opposite. What nana is saying is somewhat incorrect. Frizzle is an incomplete dominant gene. A normal feathered bird is ff. A frizzled bird is Ff. You can not breed two Ff birds because FF is deformed birds with feathers that fall out. So, to get frizzles you need to breed a Ff to a ff. You will get half frizzle Ff and half not ff. It looks like your birds are ff. Not frizzles. It is possible one if their parents was but they did not inherit the gene. This is not considered a frizzle and can not pass on the gene.

No. Its the opposite. What nana is saying is somewhat incorrect. Frizzle is an incomplete dominant gene. A normal feathered bird is ff. A frizzled bird is Ff. You can not breed two Ff birds because FF is deformed birds with feathers that fall out. So, to get frizzles you need to breed a Ff to a ff. You will get half frizzle Ff and half not ff. It looks like your birds are ff. Not frizzles. It is possible one if their parents was but they did not inherit the gene. This is not considered a frizzle and can not pass on the gene.

X2

Last edited:
Because the dominance is incomplete some frizzles will look more extreme than others but those pics look more that normal feathers to me. Hard to say for certain nut that's my guess. There should be some frizzling.

no those are not frizzles but would be perfect for breeding. when breeding you always use a smooth feathered bird and a frizzled bird. you will get a 50/50 split with half being frizzled and the other half with normal feathering. if the bird is not frizzled then it will never produce a frizzled offspring even if one parent was a frizzle. you should never breed 2 frizzles together as that causes brittle feathers

All very interesting and I did not know any of this! So is there a normal breed you would consider these?

I did not order these birds from a hatchery but for those people who DO order new frizzle chicks how can they be assured they are getting a frizzly chick and not just a normal chick with the 50/50 split? Just a question out of curiosity if anyone knows.

Thanks again for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom