Are all our babies pullets?!

Nine of your chicks really look older than 3 weeks old. How long have you had them? Right now we can't really say gender, and a guess would be just a guess. I am really sceptical of the straight run birds though
Okay, that's good to know! We've had the older ones for 2 weeks, but they were already feathered when we got them. The younger ones we've had for about 1/2 a week. We didn't really get any newly hatched chicks.

Hey everyone!

So, we are raising some chicks for a friend and keeping 4 for ourselves. We can only have hens within city limits, so we'd like to make sure we have all hens before delivering our friend her flock in August.

I'm going to post a bunch of photos of each chick we currently want to keep and what we know about them from time of purchase. If you all could help us determine breed and sex we'd so appreciate it!

I'm aware they're still young and you just never know, but if we can be at least almost certain they're all hens by mid August I'd feel confident in keeping them. I'll update photos weekly. 🥰 TIA!
Honestly, buying straight run when you can only have hens is super risky. I’ve done a few hatches of eggs, the first three had WAY more males than females, and luckily this last one I think is 3 out of 4 females.

It can be super tricky to tell sex of a chick by sight until MINIMUM 4-6 weeks, and even then it is just a guess. Is your friend ok with taking all cockerels if you end up with too many?

Even they best chick sexers on BYC won’t be able to give you any difinitive answers. My future advice to you is order pullets only next time, from a reputable hatchery. Straight run is always a gamble. Wishing you the best of luck and lots of pullets.

Honestly, buying straight run when you can only have hens is super risky. I’ve done a few hatches of eggs, the first three had WAY more males than females, and luckily this last one I think is 3 out of 4 females.

It can be super tricky to tell sex of a chick by sight until MINIMUM 4-6 weeks, and even then it is just a guess. Is your friend ok with taking all cockerels if you end up with too many?

Even they best chick sexers on BYC won’t be able to give you any difinitive answers. My future advice to you is order pullets only next time, from a reputable hatchery. Straight run is always a gamble. Wishing you the best of luck and lots of pullets.
So, we have some that are for sure pullets. We are raising a large flock of chicks for a friend. She has acres and acres to free range a bunch of chickens, and we can pick and keep whichever ones we want, and if they end up being roosters- she will just trade us for a hen.

So, is it risky? Yes. But we have all the back up plans to make sure we ultimately have four pullets and all the other chicks have a healthy home either with us or her.

We bought all pullets except for 6 straight run chicks, because she wanted some roos. We just happened to fall in love with 3 of them.

I'm just hoping to keep a running thread over the next couple weeks to hear everyone's thoughts/guesses. I don't need definitive answers. 😪😪😪🥲

Back
Top Bottom