Are all roosters annoying buttheads?

Dunno, but I have two EE roos from a "pullet only" Ideal order.

One is a JERK to his hens, still. And crows almost nonstop.

I finally started throwing my leather gloves at him when I'm in the pen and he's hollering.

Because...he's not warning anybody. Hawks float overhead and he just makes a silent beeline to the coop. If there's a treat being served he'll peck at their eyes so they drop it and he can eat it.

But he's petrified of me now as he started doing this weird...I dunno how to describe it: mumbling/throat chirping thing? It sounds very neurotic and bizarre. And then he started planting himself in front of me like, "Go around, fat girl."

Not even, dude. I believe we've worked that out.

Boot therapy.
big_smile.png

The other roo is quiet and respectful and much nicer to the girls.

I don't have a bit of trouble out of my roo. If something were to ever happen that I had to give up my chickens, I would find a way to keep my roo. I'm that attached to him.

Quote:
I so envy you!
wink.png

But I've got high hopes for the other roo...never seen him peck at the hen's eyes or chase them away from food or yank out their feathers...and he's gorgeous.

The snotty one is pretty, but looks like any reddish EE. The cool one is multicolored and just cuter.

I envy you too. I am stuck in a family of roo lovers and think we would have 20 roos if DH, DD and DH had their way. Only my youngest DS shares my love of the hens. All I hear is, oh that roo is pretty or you can't get rid of that one. They don't take care of them all day and only see them a few minutes here and there. So they don't realize what buttheads roos can be! This particular roo is good to his girls, he lets them get the treats first and waits his turn, he watches over them during free ranging and is quiet then. But put him back in the run/coop and he does the dumb warning call on and off all day!

I locked mine back up in the coop a bit ago, he was driving me nuts. It is hot here though, so I keep checking to make sure they are comfortable. I will give them more outside time later today when my neighbor leaves.

The throat thing, thats a warning. I have about 7 New Jersey Giant roos and when they all start growling, its quite impressive. They do it whenever a threat is perceived or if they want to be left alone.

I always get a group growl if a crow caws or a hawk flys overhead.

My roo is just a big cuddle bug and a great father to every new arrivel. Now his hen is just plain out nasty and mean lol until you can catch her and hold her.

I LOOOVE my roo
like someone else said if I had to get rid of all my birds, I would find a way to keep him- i adore him that much
i wonder if it has something to do with how he was raised- I got Tappy from Shellie here who hatched him out from a hen and roo she had had for seven years, both great chickens and both great family birds- and they hatched out and raised their chicks themselves, maybe Tappy is so great becuase he had a good father figure and mother figure (LOL or maybe I am over thinking and personifying it)
Tappy is sooo tiny - but a love to me and the kids- but shows no fear of any dog- or of me when he thinks I am hurting his hens- he chases off perditors(birds) and keeps watch while his hen do their free ranging

Back
Top Bottom