Are all roosters docile?

Some more than others ... Orpintons have a gentle reputation. Rhode Island Reds are notorious for aggression ... but they are all individuals and it is a crap shoot.

Basically, they are bird to be aggressive. They fight each other for dominance of a flock and they fight off predators. A very gently young rooster can turn aggressive once the testosterone starts running through them.

BUT IT IS NOT THEIR FAULT! They are wired that way by nature. The 'bad' rooster is the one that isn't watching over his flock or picking on the hens or chicks.

I' not plugging it or anything, but I've dedicated my blog to dealing with my rooster. He's a jerk ... but I love him and he's VERY good to the girls!

I've got a young white leghorn that is as sweet as can be. Also, my friend has several French Copper Maran roosters and all seem to be docile and good to their ladies. She swears by FCM roosters.

Some more than others ... Orpintons have a gentle reputation. Rhode Island Reds are notorious for aggression ... but they are all individuals and it is a crap shoot.

Basically, they are bird to be aggressive. They fight each other for dominance of a flock and they fight off predators. A very gently young rooster can turn aggressive once the testosterone starts running through them.

BUT IT IS NOT THEIR FAULT! They are wired that way by nature. The 'bad' rooster is the one that isn't watching over his flock or picking on the hens or chicks.

I' not plugging it or anything, but I've dedicated my blog to dealing with my rooster. He's a jerk ... but I love him and he's VERY good to the girls!

Just wondering if you know why a rooster who has always been docile ...he's a black australorp...would suddenly turn on one of the hens, that he has been with for about a year. He was really fighting her and had her bleeding, I removed her from the coop but Im wondering if this may be a sign that he is turning aggressive ?

Just wondering if you know why a rooster who has always been docile ...he's a black australorp...would suddenly turn on one of the hens, that he has been with for about a year. He was really fighting her and had her bleeding, I removed her from the coop but Im wondering if this may be a sign that he is turning aggressive ?
This ... I don't have an answer for! But I wouldn't keep a rooster who attacked a hen and drew blood. Did he injure her accidentally while trying to mate?

This ... I don't have an answer for! But I wouldn't keep a rooster who attacked a hen and drew blood. Did he injure her accidentally while trying to mate?
No my husband said it looked like he would kill her. He left her once my husband went close to the fence. I dont think she was sick ...she was fine yesterday

Well keep her separate until she heals ... watch for signs of illness, and watch him! If he's attacking other hens, he'll have to go! If he attacks another hen (not putting her in her place, or light bullying, but attacking) separate him straight away until you decide what you want to do with him.

Back
Top Bottom