Are all roosters docile?

Some more than others ... Orpintons have a gentle reputation. Rhode Island Reds are notorious for aggression ... but they are all individuals and it is a crap shoot.

Basically, they are bird to be aggressive. They fight each other for dominance of a flock and they fight off predators. A very gently young rooster can turn aggressive once the testosterone starts running through them.

BUT IT IS NOT THEIR FAULT! They are wired that way by nature. The 'bad' rooster is the one that isn't watching over his flock or picking on the hens or chicks.

I' not plugging it or anything, but I've dedicated my blog to dealing with my rooster. He's a jerk ... but I love him and he's VERY good to the girls!

I have a surprise Buff O. Rooster that is completely henpecked. He tries to be a big bad rooster but the girls put him in his place. He isn't even the top of the pecking order on the roosting bars. I heard the Buffs are a little more gentle than most of the others....I hope it stays this way, he just might get to stay. Poor Maynard, he wants to be a big bad rooster....if the girls would just co operate.

Well keep her separate until she heals ... watch for signs of illness, and watch him! If he's attacking other hens, he'll have to go! If he attacks another hen (not putting her in her place, or light bullying, but attacking) separate him straight away until you decide what you want to do with him.
I agree!

Usually, a roo turns aggressive when they reach sexual maturity ... if he has already been mating for a while, he shouldn't just turn like this unless something is wrong.

Asking these two questions ... don't be offended, I am trying to help ...
1) I your husband familiar with what it looks like when the rooster mates with a reluctant hen?
2) What is your ratio? Number of hens vs number of roosters?

Well keep her separate until she heals ... watch for signs of illness, and watch him! If he's attacking other hens, he'll have to go! If he attacks another hen (not putting her in her place, or light bullying, but attacking) separate him straight away until you decide what you want to do with him.
Thanks...I will keep an eye on him for sure...I wont keep him around if he is getting nasty, I have young grandchildren.

Back
Top Bottom