Are all toms jerks?

fordguy

Chirping
15 Years
Dec 6, 2007
In other words, should I just not keep turkeys at all?

I have a few hens and a 2 year old tom. tom attacks us at every opportunity. Especially through the fence where he realizes he won't really have to fight. But it makes me sad he and I donj't have any kind of friendly relationship. I spend most time figuring out how to avoid being near him. Should I try another breed or just stick to other birds other than turkeys?

Any tom that attacks goes to the dinner table. My Toms are all sweet and eat out of your hand. Sometimes turkeys in a pen can be a little more aggressive. Even at 2 years old, he will be good to eat. Just leave him in the fridge for 5-7 days before cooking or freezing.

Last edited:
In all our years of raising turkeys we have only had 1 agressive tom. I tried everything to break that but nothing worked. We put up with it for a year since he had such nice markings and I wanted some offspring from him.

Steve

it would really help me if you guys would also say what kind you are referring to!! exasperated at this bourbon red! Are there breeds known to be docile adn fairly good at free ranging?

Last edited:
Midget Whites are the only breed I have. It may be that I just have a good strain (originally from Sand Hill) or it may be that I don't make pets out of them or something else altogether but I've never had an aggressive tom. I wouldn't put up with one if I did though because they are too large a bird for that.

I have had Bourbons before, and they are actually one of my favorite varieties. Right now I have White Hollands and a Regal Red tom (Regals look like Bourbon Red without the white). I had one tom that would bump me from behind starting when he was about 4, he was a Narrigansett. He didn't attack, but was acting like he wanted to be aggressive. I opted not to wait and cooked him because I don't keep birds around that I can't trust.

While I don't have problems with aggression (and I do agree, if one is, he should be guest of honor for dinner), I will add that sometimes colors have set off an otherwise mild mannered tom. Look at what you are wearing, is it bright blue? That seems to be the main color that can be a trigger. My Narri started when I was carrying in water, it was in a blue water jug.

I wouldn't give up on turkeys, just get another tom.

The tom we had seemed to be set off by reds and blues. If we were wearing those we just kept an eye on him to be safe. Othere than that he was great.

My tom is the sweetest boy, and my favorite of all the male birds I have EVER had on this little farm! I love him, and hope he lives forever. My roo can be a jerk, and tom kicks his butt on ocassion, other than that, no agression at all. He's a heritage bronze.

The last time I got flogged by one my favorite roosters I ended up at the doctors office.They said each hole form his spurs was at least an inch deep.Hit me in the calf muscle on the back and beside the shin bone on the front.It happened late in the evening and I just put ice on it.The next morning my leg was swollen and very,very painful.My leg was very stiff and really red.I made myself walk around and even went out and sprayed it with the hose outside to cool it off.Helped it lots but I still went on to the doc and had to have a tetnus shot,antibioics and had to have it flushed out.OUCH!!!I got rid of my favorite roo fast.Still got his son and he lost a spur to the neighbors dog about a month ago.He and a hen got caught by said dog and both lost all tail feathers and his legs were buised and one spur was broke completely off.Both are fine now and follow me around.I hope that dog got worse than I did.
I've had one BR tom that was mean.He was huge and would chase little kids.He,too,had to go.I've had serveral different breeds of turkeys since but none that were mean.I think you should just get a new tom.I think turkeys are so neat,I would miss them if I had to get rid of them.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom