Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 8, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
Post opinions! But no fighting!
ED5AE892-C81F-4FA3-961C-63BE148A9101.jpeg
German “mottled Italiener” (Leghorn). Their standard is different from ours.
1627608804092.jpeg

An Ancona from my farm.

Some countries believe they are different. Others believe they are the same. Can a Leghorn be mottled without being an Ancona or do mottled Leghorns not exist?
Vote!

This is almost like AmStaffs vs APBTs I feel like.

At one point in time they were the same. Then the AKC closed their stud book. As years went by, each breed went in different directions. Breed standards became different, as did each respective breed's look, ever so slightly.

I can't help but wonder how different Anconas really were from Leghorns back when everything wasn't so bred out by hatcheries and BYB. Unfortunately chickens aren't papered, so it's hard to say.

At one point in time they were the same. Then the AKC closed their stud book. As years went by, each breed went in different directions. Breed standards became different, as did each respective breed's look, ever so slightly.

I can't help but wonder how different Anconas really were from Leghorns back when everything wasn't so bred out by hatcheries and BYB. Unfortunately chickens aren't papered, so it's hard to say.
Yeah me too. I want to know how each breed produced and how they originally looked. I bet the ones we have in show halls are drastically different from the originals.
The only Standard difference I can see is that the Leghorn tail swoop begins in the center of the back while the Ancona’s is more abrupt. Personally I like the Leghorn swoop better but Aconas are dazzling.
I’m glad they are separate breeds though. If Anconas weren’t Anconas they’d be “mottled Leghorns” unimportant and quick to die out. It’s far more glamorous to preserve a breed than a variety. Some varieties are never important but others were historically valuable. Not many would mourn the extinction of a blue Plymouth Rock, at least compared to the barred Plymouth Rock.

Pretty much what I was thinking.

Ancona breeders and hatcheries and mottled Leghorn breeders and hatcheries all claim the two are separate breeds. I think @Overo Mare offers the perfect anology using amstaffs vs pbts. I.e. they claim to be separate, but most specimens of either dog breed wont meet the breed standard and so are often impossible to distinguish. Whatever the slight differences, they sure wear beautiful feather colors. (Anconas and mottled leghorns that is).

Most of the poll voters and posters here so far i recognize as followers of a certain very long, very informative, & very entertaining and funny thread i keep getting behind on reading. That thread originator voted here that they are separate breeds, & he himself has mottled leghorns. (Yes ok its true he keeps them hidden from the viewing pleasure of others except for when they first hatch). But still, breeders of Anconas, mottled Leghorns, Amstaffs and PBTs all claim their breeds are separate. And all have sops and breed standards to back their claims. So even though yes its difficult to tell them apart, i vote that Anconas and Leghorns (mottled or otherwise) are different breeds!

Well yes,Amstaffs are considered separate from APBT's,but if it weren't for APBT's Amstaffs wouldn't exist.
PERIOD.
Amstaff breeders went towards confirmation and APBT's stayed with keeping the gameness. Although I've seen someone tight gamebred APBT's that look amazing when in condition...
Anyways
So @Amer ... I'm trying to figure out what "point"was proven by baiting a rookie with pictures of Anconas and calling them Leghorns.
That I couldn't tell the difference?
Yeah you're right, I couldn't tell the difference. I took it for granted on your word that they were Leghorns.
If you look at the picture that I posted it looks like a generic Leghorn... unless I'm completely out of my mind and seeing somet3hing different, it's an Ancona but looks a hell of a lot like a Leghorn.

I'm here to learn,not to be f'd with.
And I apologize ahead of time if I have offended anyone; otherwise,moving right along...

Last edited:
Well yes,Amstaffs are considered separate from APBT's,but if it weren't for APBT's Amstaffs wouldn't exist.
PERIOD.
Amstaff breeders went towards confirmation and APBT's stayed with keeping the gameness. Although I've seen someone tight gamebred APBT's that look amazing when it condition...
Anyways
Drew Barrymore Fist Bump GIF by NETFLIX

Back
Top Bottom