are any bantys good layers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by abhaya, Dec 26, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    are any bantys good layers? My nieace and nephew love banty eggs, but silkies are not good layers any suggestions?

2. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I think serama are good layers. I had them for some time and most of them layed every day and they are very friendly!

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Most of my bantams are Cochins - they lay ok, but are broody most of the time. I also have a bantam RIR/Rosecomb cross - she is raising a clutch right now.

I wonder about bantam EEs - they would give you blue/green eggs also. Bantam Leghorns - they should be good layers.

4. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I have a mixed banty that lays about 5 eggs a week. And it's winter and dark. Can't wait to see how much more awesome she lays in the summer. Although she refuses to use the nesting box (she lays in the feeder).

[​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My only banty hen is a very good layer. I was pleasantly surprised at her consistency. She's a lavender Cochin.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My Sebright girls are good layers.

7. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    My Banty White Leghorn is a good layer.
    Is laying about 5 per wk. in cold Michigan.

8. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Hmmm....Dutch bantams? Mille fleur? I thought I read they were better layers.
    I have a Silkie and Serama hen, but the Serama is brooding eggs (has been for last month or so!) and the Silkie hasn't laid forever....since she went broody. SHe didn't keep being broody, but still isn't laying.

9. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Bantam RIR are good too.

10. vtgirls

vtgirls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Vermont
    My buff bantam cochin Butter is a good layer - about 5 eggs a week until she went broody!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by