Are any of my hens actually Roos?

RockinFlock

Chirping
Oct 24, 2021
Western PA
Hello! These babies were born on July 12th. I bought them from an online hatchery. They are all supposed to be hens, however some of them are a little suspicious. Do you see any roosters? Thanks!

I will have to get better pics when my husband gets home. My google photo settings made these smaller. Plus he has a better eye for pictures. I believe the salmon favs are all males. I included the one pic because I believe (hope) that she might be a girl. She's lighter! And not as much black. She is a loner. The barred rocks are the SWEETEST, and will always hup,hup,hup when we are around. They will easily let you pick them up, too. The easter egger hangs out with the brahma, which we all find so funny. The buff orpingtons are almost the same size, though the larger one is slightly smaller than the brahma.

Attachments

• fam.jpg
    fam.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 15
  • zuc2.jpg
    zuc2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 7
  • buff with tail.jpg
    buff with tail.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 6
  • other buff, no feather.jpg
    other buff, no feather.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 6
  • bo.jpg
    bo.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 7
  • best brahma.jpg
    best brahma.jpg
    506.7 KB · Views: 7
  • lightest SF.jpg
    lightest SF.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 7
  • overhead of some flock.jpg
    overhead of some flock.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 7
  • suspicous bum.jpg
    suspicous bum.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 7
  • barred rock.jpg
    barred rock.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1374.jpg
    IMG_1374.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 5
Here are some additional photos that do a somewhat better job at showing the sizes. You can see the funny tailed Buff size vs the other buff vs the brahma. The SFs were somewhere else. I do think it's funny how the breeds stick together....

The brahma has a yellow (ugly) neck because her... feathers are coming in. We hope. :D

ETA: thanks everyone so far. I thought the Brahma was safe!

Attachments

• The small crew, sized.jpg
    The small crew, sized.jpg
    691.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Orpington size.jpg
    Orpington size.jpg
    625.3 KB · Views: 6
  • brahma and 2 roos.jpg
    brahma and 2 roos.jpg
    783.7 KB · Views: 6
  • EE.jpg
    EE.jpg
    565.1 KB · Views: 6
Here are some additional photos that do a somewhat better job at showing the sizes. You can see the funny tailed Buff size vs the other buff vs the brahma. The SFs were somewhere else. I do think it's funny how the breeds stick together....

The brahma has a yellow (ugly) neck because her... feathers are coming in. We hope. :D

ETA: thanks everyone so far. I thought the Brahma was safe!
Your Brahma is the only male I see.
Unless your SFs are black with cream-colored splotches they're females.
SFs have gender-deviant colorations. Males look much different. If yours are creamy ginger-brown, you've got nothing to worry about.
Salmon_Faverolles_cock_and_hen.jpg

Your Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, and Easter Egger are all females.

Your Brahma is the only male I see.
Unless your SFs are black with cream-colored splotches they're females.
SFs have gender-deviant colorations. Males look much different. If yours are creamy ginger-brown, you've got nothing to worry about.View attachment 2876861
Your Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, and Easter Egger are all females.
Thank you. I can't seem to visualize what you mean by this: "Unless your SFs are black with cream-colored splotches they're females." They aren't black, they are the color of the one on your right. They just have black beards and some spots on their chests and I read that that was the classic sign of a male :(

But thank you for the confirmation. So it seems like we have one male, the brahma. That's WAY better than the six I was thinking. (He's so cute. I love watching him stomp around. )
Sounds like we are getting lots of eggs!!:eek:

Attachments

• old sf.jpg
    old sf.jpg
    513.8 KB · Views: 5
  • sf black.jpg
    sf black.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 6
Thank you. I can't seem to visualize what you mean by this: "Unless your SFs are black with cream-colored splotches they're females." They aren't black, they are the color of the one on your right. They just have black beards and some spots on their chests and I read that that was the classic sign of a male :(

But thank you for the confirmation. So it seems like we have one male, the brahma. That's WAY better than the six I was thinking. (He's so cute. I love watching him stomp around. )
Sounds like we are getting lots of eggs!!:eek:
Yours are girls. They have female coloration. Just look at the pic if you need to visualize it. On the left is a male. On the right is a female.
Yup, you only have one boy. Will you keep him?

The girls are so sweet, I'm glad!!! As for the brahma, we'll keep him as long as we can, mainly I don't know what to expect as far as how a crow sounds. If he has to go, lol, he already has a home waiting him. A friend of my daughter has chickens and their rooster died early this summer. They were willing to home any chickens that wanted a change of scenery. But so far they get NONE. I have no plans to re-home any of these fine ladies (and dude).

Thanks everyone, all input was very much appreciated. Now I need to invest in some egg cookbooks. :woot

Marion, my in-town rooster, was a Light Brahma. He had a deep-toned, resonant crow that I found quite pleasant.

We were lucky in that one neighbor grew up on a farm and liked to bring his grandchildren over to see the chickens and that the other neighbor figured that if we didn't mind their muscle car they didn't mind our rooster. :D

Zuc2 and Bo look suspicious based on tail feathers, along with "buff with tail" if that's another bird. Those tail feathers are what alerted me first to my Delaware being a cockerel. He started crowing around 12 weeks and we found him a new home (finally) around 22-23 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom