Are anybody else having MG problems with their flocks?

Silver Sebright

Songster
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Florida
I've had chickens for more than 4 years and I never had any problems of MG (heck I just learned about it a few months ago). My young hens and cockerels I've been raising have had no problems since I've had them but suddenly an outbreak of MG occurred and its affecting them one by one. This never happened before so I don't know how this started because I thought MG got in your area if you brought a infected chicken into your babies but I got them all together at the same time and I haven't introduced any new ones since. So I just wanted to see if I'm not the only one that's been have problems with MG. I really don't want to have to start culling them :(

Are you positive it's MG? What are the symptoms?

Most of the respiratory diseases, you can't be sure which one you're actually dealing with without testing. If you're interested, I can link you to a place that will do a respiratory panel for your for $98.

Yes, I'm positive it is MG. Bubbles are forming in its eyes, drooping its wings,weight loss, very weak. Yes I would like the link please but I'm not sure I can afford it atm.

Can most respiratory diseases go away if you give the right antibiotics and immediate care besides MG.

No :( Unfortunately all of them are chronic (infectious bronchitis does seem to stop shedding after about a year, but that's the only exception).

No :( Unfortunately all of them are chronic (infectious bronchitis does seem to stop shedding after about a year, but that's the only exception).

What makes me sad is that my little sisters and brothers even my neices and nephews have gotten attached to them. Idk if I should just try my best to keep them healthy. But I don't want to see them suffer but I think I might have to resort to culling them and then cleaning up the whole area and starting over.

I have given my birds Tylan 50 Injection in the past at a suggestion of a friend who is writing a book on Avian health issues after he looked at the bird in question. I did as he told me and the bird recovered.

What makes me sad is that my little sisters and brothers even my neices and nephews have gotten attached to them. Idk if I should just try my best to keep them healthy. But I don't want to see them suffer but I think I might have to resort to culling them and then cleaning up the whole area and starting over.

You could treat them if you wanted, with Tylan or something similar, but that will only temporarily cure the symptoms. They'll still carry the disease for life, have symptom flare ups when they get stressed, and of course would infect all other birds you bring in.

You could treat them if you wanted, with Tylan or something similar, but that will only temporarily cure the symptoms. They'll still carry the disease for life, have symptom flare ups when they get stressed, and of course would infect all other birds you bring in.

Thankyou so much for the advice :)

Back
Top Bottom