Are bantam breeds just generally calmer and sweeter?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wbruder17, Apr 4, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    As you can read in my little personal comment on the bottom, I have several different breeds of chickens, all of which I have raised from little itty biddies.

Although my EEs are extremely friendly and inquisitive, and aside from my Birchen Cochin, all of my banties are, in general, much less afraid of me, come right up to my hand to check things out, and do not run away from me when I want to pick them up.

I try to handle all my chickens as much as possible, but many are more prone to flightiness, of course. It just seems that the banties are more likely to be cuddly, from chicks through adulthood.

2. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    I don't know if all banties are a lot sweeter, but my bantam Cochin is pretty darn friendly and docile. She coos and is very squat-crazy. But my EE's will jump on my back if I bend down [​IMG]

3. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Years ago I had a white chochin banty hen that was soooo sweet, and loved to be carried like a baby. On the other hand, I had a banty barred rock hen that was very aloof, even with the rest of the flock. BUT, if she had chicks with her, she would ATTACK anything that came within 5 feet of them! [​IMG] We're talking chickens, horses, pigs, sheep, dogs, cats, and people!!! She was a darn good mama though, and all of her chicks grew to adulthood. [​IMG]

4. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    for the most part, banties are bred just for show, decoration, pets, yard art, etc....and seeing as they dont have any other purpose, I can see people breeding them to be more friendly so they can be handled/shown easier...the bigger chickens are bred for more meat, better egg production, more commercial minded people bred a lot of them up, so their attitude has not been as big an issue in breeding....just my opinion...

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I have some friendly bantams..but my standards are the friendliest at the moment. Both variety's are friendly.

I have GameXBO hen and she is my baby girl!! [​IMG]

6. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    LF Cochins are my favorite!

7. jas humbert

jas humbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2015
    Tennessee
    No not all banties are sweet, but some are. Growing up I had a little gray(who knows what exact breed) banty named Mouse who was as friendly as a kitten, loved to be picked up, followed us around constantly. But the meanest rooster we ever owned was a banty too. Now my silkies are definitely the loviest of my current chickens but I have seen other banties especially those with gamefowl in the background that can be very aggressive. Lot of bantam breeds, lots of different personalities.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by