Are Barred Rocks a good starter breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cldineley, Jan 11, 2011.

1. cldineley

cldineley Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    eastern,nc
    I have recently acquired a BR roo and was planning on getting a couple of BR hens in the spring. Are they a good breed for beginners. Since I'm a stay at home mom I thought it would give me something else to do and a little entertainment in the process, plus my kids seem to like to watch them too. I am hoping for a few eggs in the process, but not sure on hatching any yet. I don't know how old the roo is either. Also, he has found a friend from the neighbors flock and I can't seem to out what she is. Since I still can't post pics yet I'll try to explain her. She is half the size he is with a brown body, red colored neck feathers and a black tail, pale legs, and a small single comb. I also wanted to know, since I'm a beginner at this, if it was best to start with pullets rather than chicks? Thanks

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I started with barred rocks as chicks, I love them! they are docile and friendly. They are great dual purpose breed, I'm going to be getting so more this spring. I think they are great layers. I've had several other breeds and have been the best by far, they even lay well in the winter months. My oldest are 3 years, and have layed great up until now. I think it's great idea for you to start off with barred rocks. As for your neighbors hen, i have no idea. I would be great to have pic! Good Luck:)

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yes, Barred Rocks are a perfect beginner breed. They were the first heavy breed other than mixed games that I had back when I first started with chickens and they have always been one of my favs.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

In my opinion, they are the perfect all-round breed. BRs are friendly, intelligent as chickens go, and wonderful layers. I've had quite a few breeds and these will always have the top spot in my heart.

5. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:This goes for all rocks not just the barreds and other varieties need more breeders.
    I hear that hatchery BR can be agressive. Mine from breeder stock are very friendly and large birds

6. speckledhen

My first ones were hatchery stock and they were great. Then I have since hatched them from other sources, but still, they are just generations-removed from hatchery stock.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Plymouth Rock - Barred was the very first breed on my list when I started. I have one right now, and she is so friendly, affectionate, and a great layer. She chatters to me all the time, telling me chickeny stories.

Excellent startter - and continuing!- breed!

8. cldineley

Jan 6, 2011
    eastern,nc
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I didn't even know about the breed until the roo came and stayed in my yard.

9. speckledhen

I have blues, black and barred Rocks. Love them all. In fact, I'm hatching more soon to replace older hens that I expect to lose in the next year or so.

10. cldineley

Jan 6, 2011
    eastern,nc
    I would love to find a breeder close to me, but so far I haven't. Right now I'm doing research on the best ways to keep chickens and trying to find a coop design I like and my husband can build. I like to have the coop up before I get any more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by