Are barred rocks friendly

I have 5 hens, 2 Barred Rocks and 3 Buff Orpingtons. They came from the feed store, so they are hatchery birds. I've handled all 5 the same way since day one, and the 2 Rocks are much tamer than the Orpies, for whatever reason. The Orpies don't like to be picked up at all, whereas Muk and Luk, the Rocks, will scamper to me and hop into my lap for treats.

It took time for them to become this tame though. They were skittish too at first, but have warmed up very much with just patient calm handling and time.

They are my husband's favorite all-around breed, out of all the breeds he has kept over the years.

It is on a bird by bird basis though. I have a Barred Rock rooster (came to me when he was older) that isn't as friendly. He has never attacked me, and will eat from my hand, but doesn't like to be picked up. But I prefer that my roosters keep their distance anyway.
But I sure do love my Muk and Luk.
love.gif
Here they are supervising the morning milking:

I have 2 Barred Rocks out of a flock of 20 different breeds of chickens.
They are probably the most timid breed I have, but they are very nice as well.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I have raised Barred Rocks over the years, and they are generally docile birds. I have on rare occasion had an aggressive individual that I had to cull from the flock, but that is definitely the exception rather than the rule.

Back
Top Bottom