1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are bears a problem?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by HenOnAJuneBug, May 24, 2017.

1. HenOnAJuneBug

HenOnAJuneBug Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2015
    Just had what sounded like an emergency here with a really distressed hen sound and squawking roosters. I ran to intervene and didn't see anything, so I went further up into the property. Way up in the distance I saw a black bear standing on its hind legs looking in my (and the chickens) direction. Nothing else except clucking turkeys between us. I did a head count, and everything is OK.

I know bears around here are pretty shy, so I imagine that he freaked and ran when the chickens started screaming. Are bears considered to be a predator of chickens? Apart from, let's say, getting into the chicken coop.

btw, I'm beginning to think that noisy chickens deter predators. There are lots of hawks around here, and some have gotten really close, but my chickens are VERY noisy (especially the roosters) and the hawks don't cause problems.

2. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Overrun With Chickens

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    it will probs be after the chook food.........

HenOnAJuneBug likes this.
  3. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    I'm really not sure if it will eat chooks....

4. itsasmallfarm

itsasmallfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2016
    i have heard horror story's of bears getting into coops and ripping them to shreds

5. Kyanite

Kyanite Loving Life! Premium Member

May 27, 2016
    SE Idaho
    Yes, bears can be a problem. They will come for the chicken feed or treats and make an insane mess while getting it. They are also omnivores and won't usually pass up an easy meal.

HenOnAJuneBug and Hybridchucks like this.
  6. cacknballs

cacknballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2017
    Republic of Tejas
    My Coop
    bears are only a problem when they are hungry or you are between them and their cubs.

if there's a sow down there with cubs, let her have the chickens.

it's not worth it.

7. hatchichickens

hatchichickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2017
    Fieldbrook, California
    I live in Coastal Northern California. There are bears, raccoons, possums, skunks, hawks, coyotes, deer, elk, cougars, and other small critters around my house. So far I have just found the raccoons to be the biggest threat to chickens. I even had to put my rooster down after he tried to fight a deer and got his femur broken. However, the bears seem to be much more likely to go for berries, apples or trash than my chickens. It depends on the area but in my neighborhood they are much more opportunistic than predatory, generally the ones I see around my house are older and the younger ones stay away from people. Maybe get an air horn? More than likely, that would scare away the bear if it did try to come into the yard. I usually just give the bear a good telling off and it moseys on elsewhere ;).

HenOnAJuneBug and Hybridchucks like this.
  8. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    :lau:hugsgreat post! xx:yuckyuck

HenOnAJuneBug and hatchichickens like this.
  9. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    If concerned, or they become a problem, solution is an electric fence.

10. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    images-10.jpeg it should say a food trough inspection! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by