Are broad breathed turkeys considered sustainable? Are they broody?

humblehillsfarm

Crazy chicken lady
Mar 27, 2020
Southwestern Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
I have meat chickens coming in September. I thought if I could order some broad breasted turkeys (only turkeys left at at my local hatchery) we could have some turkey for Christmas and Thanksgiving. However, I wanted to keep a male and one or two females to keep them as a breeding pair. Is this doable with broad breasted or nah?

I have meat chickens coming in September. I thought if I could order some broad breasted turkeys (only turkeys left at at my local hatchery) we could have some turkey for Christmas and Thanksgiving. However, I wanted to keep a male and one or two females to keep them as a breeding pair. Is this doable with broad breasted or nah?
It is possible but not practical. While they can breed naturally if they are young enough, commercially they are bred via artificial insemination. You could learn how to do this yourself. The breeders need to be replaced annually for the best prospects of getting fertile eggs.

Broad breasted turkeys do not make good mothers. They just can't move their feet as delicately as can heritage turkeys. Poult losses due to being stepped on are common.

It is possible but not practical. While they can breed naturally if they are young enough, commercially they are bred via artificial insemination. You could learn how to do this yourself. The breeders need to be replaced annually for the best prospects of getting fertile eggs.

Broad breasted turkeys do not make good mothers. They just can't move their feet as delicately as can heritage turkeys. Poult losses due to being stepped on are common.
Alright well it looks like I will wait until next year and hopefully snag some heritage turkeys. That’s what I’d rather have anyways. Thank you!

Alright well it looks like I will wait until next year and hopefully snag some heritage turkeys. That’s what I’d rather have anyways. Thank you!
Lots of people thin the flock before winter. You might be able to find some of known sex. Took me 2 years to get hens from heritage poults I bought.

Back
Top Bottom