Are button quail smart???

I have buttons with varying personalities, just as I've seen in other birds I have raised. I've had a few hatch that seem to immediately run away from their own shell, more jumpy, more fearful and nervous, and more difficult to tame. Others have been very easy to tame, climb up and nestle in the palm of my hand, and are very socially receptive to me (i.e., come running over to greet me.) These are the ones I've noticed are usually the strongest and most vocal right after hatching, the first to check out new foods and new items added to their habitat, and the first to hop out of the brooder in search of new areas to explore...bright little bulbs with more bubbly personalities. So, I think it really varies with each bird.

Sonia, your username startled me at first glance, as my real name is also Sonia (spelled the same as well) - too funny! On my first hatch of button quail, I really didn't know what I was doing. I had hatched chicken eggs before, but only in a simple box with a standard light-bulb strung through it and a damp towel laid over the top (had never used an incubator before.) With my first incubator and first batch of buttons, I had the wrong temp setting, wrong humidity, wrong everything, and ended up with only two hatching out of six eggs placed. One hatched normally, and the other I "helped" out of the shell, but it had multiple issues and died soon after. Since that first hatch, I've experimented with different temps using a different incubator, and have had more successful hatches. So, to answer your question, I think the difference between an easy hatch and a more difficult one really depends on setting up the correct incubation conditions. I also think proper nutrition of the breeding birds that produce your hatching eggs plays a vital role in how successful the hatch will be. Also, if you can find a local breeder in your area who cares for their birds well, you may have better success with the eggs hatching as opposed to using shipped eggs that have been rattled and shaken while in transport.

Lol Sonia is my real name as well as my user name :) I bought 20 button eggs from a breeder (shipped) and they sent 36! One broke in the mail so I set 35 night before last in a brinsea mini eco. Temp is holding steady at 99.4-99.6 and I'm just following the directions that came with the bator for humidity. Hopefully I get a few to hatch :)

That's a bold number of eggs to start out with on your first hatch of buttons! I've never done that many all at once. Your temp is exactly where I set mine at now. Good luck on your hatch, and please keep us posted!

Thank you :) like I said I only ordered 20 figuring that maybe half would hatch, but @ ended up with 35 good eggs so I set them all *shrug* couldn't see tossing them

Welcome to BYC!!!
frow.gif
Glad to have you aboard!!
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom