Are California Grey Chicks ACTUALLY Autosexing?

Floof

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 28, 2015
The title sums it up. I'm wondering if the CA grey chicks are truly autosexing at hatch. Strombergs has them on their website and I've seen others claiming they are autosexing but I haven't seen any pictures proving it. If they are truly autosexing then I'll order a male and breed them pure but if not then I'll just run them with my sex linked breeding group. If you breed these guys can you attach a picture of your chicks?

They're barred. All barred breeds can be selected for their autosexing qualities.
I've always heard this but haven't been able to discern between male and female barred rock chicks based on head spot. There's always some easy picks but then theres about 1/3 of every hatch that's just a toss up. Is it any easier with the California greys?

I've always heard this but haven't been able to discern between male and female barred rock chicks based on head spot. There's always some easy picks but then theres about 1/3 of every hatch that's just a toss up. Is it any easier with the California greys?
It's because a hatchery line generally hasn't been selected for this trait since they can utilize more accurate vent sexing now. If you breed your own, you select for it for a few generations. (IE; hatch a lot and cull everything that isn't obviously one or the other.) Even in hatchery BR bantams I got last year, there were many that were obviously one or the other. I kept a trio from those and sold the rest as unsexed. Unfortunately, a racoon got my pullets. Haven't decided whether to start over again or not...

If you decide to go with it, just order a good-sized batch so you can pick out obviously marked chicks as your keepers to grow out and sell the rest.

When you select for autosexing in barred/cuckoo varieties, you will have to start over again if you outcross to another line so plan your breeding program for longevity, not counting on getting a new male for genetic diversity every year.

Even in my legbars, which are one of the most easily autosexing breeds, chick down markings can become ambiguous when the autosexing trait isn't actively selected for. I'm culling a third of my first hatch from two different lines because their markings aren't defined enough!

The title sums it up. I'm wondering if the CA grey chicks are truly autosexing at hatch. Strombergs has them on their website and I've seen others claiming they are autosexing but I haven't seen any pictures proving it. If they are truly autosexing then I'll order a male and breed them pure but if not then I'll just run them with my sex linked breeding group. If you breed these guys can you attach a picture of your chicks?
Are the birds in your profile picture Cal Gray hens? If so, they're nicer looking than other photos I've seen. I'd love to see more.

Back
Top Bottom