are ceader shavingd OK?

Definately not, cedar is bad for chicks as far as I have heard.

Get pine shavings they work best
smile.png

Cedar will irritate their skin and lungs. Use pine if at all possible.

I have a lot of dead trees on my property - hence a lot of possible chips. These are mostly mulberry, ash and cottonwood. Do you think these species as wood chips would work?

Cedar is good for keeping mites and other pests away... it's okay as long as you mix it with mostly pine/other shavings. I wouldn't use ONLY cedar, though lots of people do and don't have a problem.

I've heard horror stories about using cedar, I would steer clear. Pine works great, though, I've used it for eleven years raising chicks and never had a problem!

I personally would stay away from cedar based on all the stories and information I have read. Rather than pine shavings though, I recommend pine bedding pellets. They are available at most feed stores. I like them MUCH better for the brooder than pine shavings. I do still use pine shavings in the coop.

No, cedar really hurt our little silkie hen. She got all better just by changing the litter to pine after a few day's break just on newspaper. We also washed her (she really liked that). Once the cedar was gone, so was her cough and diarrhea.

One of our sons has asthma, we noticed he didn't need his inhaler much after the cedar was gone, too. I wouldn't recommend cedar. I love the smell, but it seems to give people and pets too much trouble.

Back
Top Bottom