Are Celery Leaves OK?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by max13077, Mar 22, 2009.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

My mother just cut up a head of celery. There are a bunch of leaves etc left over. Are they OK to feed?

2. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    I'm not expert but I would think it would be fine and they'd love it. Celery is pretty harmless stuff and it is not on the "DO NOT FEED" list. I would go for it, but maybe wait until you get a few more responses from other people. If it were mine, I wouldn't hesitate.

3. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    I wouldnt think that celery leaves would hurt them. I give my chickens lettuce leaves and other greens and they love them.

4. deenamr

deenamr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    Central Oregon
    Mine love celery and the leaves. When giving them celery I pull the strings off before I give it to them.

5. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Celery is yummylicious! They will thank you. We avoid citrus and potato products. We go by the rule of thumb that if it's in a V8, they'll like it!

Colby in KY

6. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks folks. They're scarfing them down as I type...

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    There are very, very few exceptions to the general principle of "if it's good for you it's good for the chickens too". (Main exception, which isn't *really* an exception, is that people can tolerate quite a lot more saltiness before succumbing to kidney failure than chickens can, so salty foods are not good for chickens even if *you* like 'em).

Sure, feed 'em the celery leaves [​IMG]

Pat

8. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

9. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Ours get celery and celery leaves. They like both, they eat the leaves first though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by