Are chickens colorblind?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LTygress, Mar 3, 2014.

1. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Does anyone here know?

2. tadaen sylverma

tadaen sylverma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2014
    Don't think so, mine are quite attracted to green and red. Never considered the concept really.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    No, chickens can see colour very well. I read a study once that found that chickens can actually see more colours than humans can.

4. LTygress

Sep 12, 2012
    Wow, nice!
    Okay, just wondering before I teach some of mine a few tricks based on colors. Thanks!

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I read a nice study re: chicken intelligence. It said that chickens are capable of basic geometry, and counting, based on some experiments based on the chicken counting or completing or choosing a geometric shape to get a food reward. A similar experiment could be done regarding color. The experiment was set up with a tray, like a cupcake tin (smaller, with each cup covered), and the chicken learned that the treats would only be under a certain shape.

6. LTygress

Sep 12, 2012
    Nice!

7. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    I too have recently read an article on chicken intelligence. I find it fascinating how smart they actually are. Since I do have 5 chickens I can see that they are smart and intelligent. I wish the "outside" world would realize this and not just say things like "....it's JUST a chicken" .
    [​IMG]

8. Smilin Teri

Smilin Teri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2014
    I would like to read that -- I had a lady in Rural Kung tell me chickens were color blind. Guess she didn't know what she was talking about

9. Amina

Amina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    I've seen videos of chickens that are trained to only peck at certain colors.

10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Ah - but it has been done, and successfully - on the "Private live of a Chicken" they did an experiment in which a hen had been conditioned to eat out of a dish of one color ( I think it was the yellow one) - she was then placed on one side of a netting and her chicks on the other. The chicks and hen were both given two dishes - one yellow and one of a different (but the same on both sides of net) color. The chicks were eating from the wrong color dish and they filmed the hen working VERY hard to communicate to her chicks that they needed to eat from the other colored dish. The dishes were identical in all ways but color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by