Are chickens dirty birds?

bridgetchicken

Songster
Sep 19, 2022
Are chickens overall dirty birds because they have contact with the soil, dirt, parasites, etc.? They can get worms and staph infections.

By contrast with coturnix quails you can keep them in an elevated wired cage above the ground. If I’m worried about contracting a disease from chickens would it be better if I stick with quails?

Properly kept, chickens are pretty clean.
Which disease are you worried about catching?
I don’t have chickens yet. I only keep coturnix quails. I just like chickens because they are big and fluffy birds. But after reading that bumblefoot is a staph infection I’m worried about contracting that disease onto my skin.

If my chicken run (3ft x 6ft) has a concrete bottom with shavings on top can chickens get worms and/or bumblefoot from nowhere?
Well not nowhere...
They can get bumblefoot in any keeping conditions, worms as well.
I think you should stick with the quail and forget about chickens. Chickens need space, much more than 3ft x 6ft and ideally it should be natural ground.

Well not nowhere...
They can get bumblefoot in any keeping conditions, worms as well.
I think you should stick with the quail and forget about chickens. Chickens need space, much more than 3ft x 6ft and ideally it should be natural ground.
I agree. I just don’t have the space for barely two hens. I think coturnix quail are fluffy too when compared to parakeets. I’m happy with what I have. Thanks!

If my chicken run (3ft x 6ft) has a concrete bottom with shavings on top can chickens get worms and/or bumblefoot from nowhere?
Bumblefoot is developed from pressure points so one jumping off a roost to cement woukd be a good way to get it. Worms are not as big of a problem as people say they are. If someone has habitual worm infections they really aren't fit to have chickens. Don't worry just do. If you do your part in maintaining a clean environment you won't have anything to worry about. Enjoy them if you get some, don't live with worry

Back
Top Bottom