1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are chickens noisy?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bren0990, Jan 20, 2015.

1. JensChickies

JensChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014

Lol...I agree....squirrels and blue jays set my girls off! Lol!!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    Agreed.
    Also, be careful that you don't unintentionally train your flock to be noisy nuisances - we see a lot of people posting about "how do I make my birds be quiet" and when a few details are learned it comes about that the human has inadvertently taught their flock that being loud gets the human to come out of the house and toss them some treats (ie a handful of scratch). To the human, they are tossing scratch and the birds go quiet (eating) so mission is accomplished. What the bird sees, though, is that if they are loud they get fed/attention from the humans/some other positive re-enforcement of the bad behavior. What follows is a vicious cycle of birds being louder and doing so more often during the day rather than becoming quieter more civilized members of society, and the keeper becoming more and more frustrated (as well as any neighbors)

2 people like this.
  3. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    x2 to what Ol Grey Mare wrote above.

In addition, when one starts bock, bock, bocking the others join in. When we had a rooster, the noise was incredibly loud. I couldn't tell which one was the rooster sometimes. It's really funny if they're your own, if you don't mind the noise, or if they haven't trained you to come with the racket. Not so much if you're the neighbor with the noisy chickens.

Our neighbors now have guinea hens. They make a very loud and unpleasant noise and I wonder if the neighbors knew guineas sounded like that before they got them. I wouldn't have known. It is funny though to watch them chase the roaming chihuahua down the street while making that noise.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I find it to be simply amazing how quickly animals can train humans! My house dogs are almost finished with their training of Mike!

1 person likes this.
  5. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    This is very wise advice.

6. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    My rooster is loud. Not the crowing mind you - that I had anticipated.

What I had not considered is that he might sing The Egg Song. After every single egg is laid. In chorus, with the hen of the moment.....!

- Krista

7. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Glad to know my Roo isn't the only one who does that!! lol... The way he carries on you'd swear that HE personally laid each and every egg!! :D

8. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Some of them are little weirdos for sure [​IMG]

This is the same rooster who wedges himself in between the feeder and the waterer, and then calls the girls over excitedly to see the 'perfect nest' he has found for them!

He also burrowed a tunnel into a bale of hay and sat in there making broody hen clucking sounds for an hour [​IMG] I gave up trying to understand him long ago, ha ha!

- Krista

9. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Sounds like quite the character with an amusing personality! So far, Cheeky singing the egg song is his only strange habit, lol. He's a great example of an amazing Roo and I am lucky to have him. :D

10. yellowchicks

yellowchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2014
    NJ
    My Coop
    My 4 Leghorns are usually quiet, except when singing a short egg song in the morning. After reading the above post, I did an experiment, I found that if my chickens could see me through the window, they would start making noises trying to get my attention for food. If they couldn't see me, they would remain quiet just standing around looking at one another even if they were hungry. If they are fed, they are pretty quiet all day and night, just minding their own business.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by