are chickens pets?

Are chickens pets?

• yes

Votes: 329 92.9%
  • no

Votes: 25 7.1%

• Total voters
Yes! An abandoned rooster wandered out of the woods and into our lives a year ago. After two months of letting him sleep in the woods (he made a roost in a tangle of honeysuckle 10 feet off the ground), we finally broke down and let him stay in the garage at night where he happily perches on one of the roof trusses. He greets us at the garage door with a "wing dance" every morning. If we take too long to get up, he starts crowing in the garage then moves to the sliding glass doors in the back where he can see if we're moving around. If he still can't rouse us, he comes around to the front of the house and crows some more. He follows us as we do our chores, garden, take walks in the woods or go down to get the mail or the newspaper - like a puppy dog!. He comes out to meet me with another wing dance when I come home from work. He keeps trying to sneak by us into the house as we go in and out of the door, but, so far, he has been shown right back out again. He brings a smile to our faces and we definnitely consider him our pet.

Time to find him a laaady.
woot.gif

My chikens are pets I did not know when I got them for eggs how we would become so attached to them . Mine all have names will come up and jump in your lap. They are smater than most people think and will entertain you.

OK. I came here tonight to find out what is wrong with my flock... why are they acting so strangely... but apparently I am not alone in this. So, here is my two cents worth.

I am an absolute NOOB to all this chicken stuff. I got into this for the express purpose of raising healthier and cheaper food. I have 15 Plymouth Barred Rock pullets and 29 Cornish Cross straight run... whose sole purpose in life is to provide ME with eggs and meat, in that order. They are birds. Not puppies, not kittens, not bunnies, not something that is supposed to come to you, jump in your lap, and express a desire for companionship and affection, and I am supposed to be a tough shelled hard hearted "Man."

I had this all planned out. I had this all figured out. And, at least where the CX are concerned I was right... but where the Barred Rock are concerned, I had this all.... well, wrong.
At first I thought it was a fluke... a 2 day old
jumpy.gif
or two coming over and talking to me. I'm reading into it I said to myself. It was not actually WANTING to communicate and hang out, it was just curious about what this big, ugly, lumbering, "thing" that was there with them was. Then I thought they just wanted out of the small coop I built for them in what WAS my private office... my "Man cave" and that was why they flew up to the opening and onto my arms when I bent over and reached for something... and of course the reason they would not let go and go back down was because they were afraid of heights. This was the first two weeks.

Now they are four weeks old. And out into my large walk in coop.

They are supposed to by addle headed eating, pooping, feathered morons, who are good for nothing but converting feed to meat and eggs... but somehow they don't know this. And I am supposed to be a tough guy... and I have forgotten this somewhere along the way due to my curiosity about their "strange" behavior where I am concerned. And for the record it started with one, but is now up to around seven of them. I would go in to feed them, or do some other maintenance thing, and they would fly up onto my belt on my backside and fly/run the rest of the way to my shoulder and then stay there for the remainder of my time working around in the coop. Just their instinct to roost on the highest item they can find I tell myself... except it is day time and not night time, and they walk around on my shoulder and chirp in my ears.

So... I have begun carrying in a 5 gallon bucket stool for me to sit on, because I am still struggling to figure out what happened. And now, I walk in, and have to shoo them away while I do what I do, and when I am done, I sit on my bucket, and immediately I have one on each knee. Within another minute, I have two more next to them, one or two on my shoulders, tonight it was three, and another on one arm while four more are positioning themselves to join the others, which they would if there were room, but since there isn't they wait their turn for me to try to put someone down so I can leave... which I never get to do the first two attempts.

Now I am truly puzzled because I have realized that I MUST talk to them and pet/stroke them or they look at me as if I have forgotten our anniversary or something. In fact, as soon as I begin stroking them like kittens, they sit down, coo at me, close their eyes, and go to sleep; until I stop and move to the next one who is impatiently stamping her foot or pecking at my leg or arm or ear demanding my attention. And if I do not get the hint, she will actually fly over and land on the arm that is doing the stroking, and then begin to roost on it.

I have become the dumb, moron, human who is too stupid to know that his purpose in life is too sit and hold, and cuddle and stroke, and talk with the chickens which God has been so merciful as to honor his presence with, and all I can think is, "What just happened?" and, "How did I just get owned by these four week feather dusters?"

I kid you not, they are more persistent than the neighbor's cats who think my home is their home, and that I was born to feed and pet them. In fact, they make those cats seem feral by comparison!

So, I must declare that chicken are pets, or at least they will be if you talk to them and do what it takes to let them know that they do not have to fear you... though I have been known to thump them on the head or back for abusively pecking on one another. But that has not deterred them from anything.

Sincerely yours,

Confused and hen pecked!
hu.gif

Last edited:
I had a Cornish cross that became a pet with a strict diest and plenty of exersize she lived a long and healthy life. even managed to give me a lot of eggs.
I took that chicken everywhere. I miss her my little egg noggin.

OK. I came here tonight to find out what is wrong with my flock... why are they acting so strangely... but apparently I am not alone in this. So, here is my two cents worth.

I am an absolute NOOB to all this chicken stuff. I got into this for the express purpose of raising healthier and cheaper food. I have 15 Plymouth Barred Rock pullets and 29 Cornish Cross straight run... whose sole purpose in life is to provide ME with eggs and meat, in that order. They are birds. Not puppies, not kittens, not bunnies, not something that is supposed to come to you, jump in your lap, and express a desire for companionship and affection, and I am supposed to be a tough shelled hard hearted "Man."

I had this all planned out. I had this all figured out. And, at least where the CX are concerned I was right... but where the Barred Rock are concerned, I had this all.... well, wrong.

At first I thought it was a fluke... a 2 day old :jumpy or two coming over and talking to me. I'm reading into it I said to myself. It was not actually WANTING to communicate and hang out, it was just curious about what this big, ugly, lumbering, "thing" that was there with them was. Then I thought they just wanted out of the small coop I built for them in what WAS my private office... my "Man cave" and that was why they flew up to the opening and onto my arms when I bent over and reached for something... and of course the reason they would not let go and go back down was because they were afraid of heights. This was the first two weeks.

Now they are four weeks old. And out into my large walk in coop.

They are supposed to by addle headed eating, pooping, feathered morons, who are good for nothing but converting feed to meat and eggs... but somehow they don't know this. And I am supposed to be a tough guy... and I have forgotten this somewhere along the way due to my curiosity about their "strange" behavior where I am concerned. And for the record it started with one, but is now up to around seven of them. I would go in to feed them, or do some other maintenance thing, and they would fly up onto my belt on my backside and fly/run the rest of the way to my shoulder and then stay there for the remainder of my time working around in the coop. Just their instinct to roost on the highest item they can find I tell myself... except it is day time and not night time, and they walk around on my shoulder and chirp in my ears.

So... I have begun carrying in a 5 gallon bucket stool for me to sit on, because I am still struggling to figure out what happened. And now, I walk in, and have to shoo them away while I do what I do, and when I am done, I sit on my bucket, and immediately I have one on each knee. Within another minute, I have two more next to them, one or two on my shoulders, tonight it was three, and another on one arm while four more are positioning themselves to join the others, which they would if there were room, but since there isn't they wait their turn for me to try to put someone down so I can leave... which I never get to do the first two attempts.

Now I am truly puzzled because I have realized that I MUST talk to them and pet/stroke them or they look at me as if I have forgotten our anniversary or something. In fact, as soon as I begin stroking them like kittens, they sit down, coo at me, close their eyes, and go to sleep; until I stop and move to the next one who is impatiently stamping her foot or pecking at my leg or arm or ear demanding my attention. And if I do not get the hint, she will actually fly over and land on the arm that is doing the stroking, and then begin to roost on it.

I have become the dumb, moron, human who is too stupid to know that his purpose in life is too sit and hold, and cuddle and stroke, and talk with the chickens which God has been so merciful as to honor his presence with, and all I can think is, "What just happened?" and, "How did I just get owned by these four week feather dusters?"

I kid you not, they are more persistent than the neighbor's cats who think my home is their home, and that I was born to feed and pet them. In fact, they make those cats seem feral by comparison!

So, I must declare that chicken are pets, or at least they will be if you talk to them and do what it takes to let them know that they do not have to fear you... though I have been known to thump them on the head or back for abusively pecking on one another. But that has not deterred them from anything.

Sincerely yours,

Confused and hen pecked! :confused:

Just LOVE your story.....keep up the good work Mr. henpecked { hee hee}

Back
Top Bottom