are chickens pets?

Are chickens pets?

• yes

Votes: 329 92.9%
  • no

Votes: 25 7.1%

• Total voters
I love chickens. Anyone who doesn't shouldn't be on here.
love.gif
tongue.gif

It really depends on the person I grew up my whole life with chickens and for the longest time I hated the chickens that my dad had when I was little. I thought they were stupid and a waste. Then out of no where about 2 years I love them (I can't tell you why) now I buy the feed and take care of them alot, buy the chicks now. When ever I am bored or not working I just look at the chickens and love it.

Anyways I think my chickens both pets and livestock. I do keep like 98% of females I have, but I do get alot of roosters that my dad will kill for meat. Makes me sad cause I raised them as a chick and you grow attached to them. But I gave it my all, spent my money on feed, closing the coop night, and just making there lives worth while living...

This is a picture I took today of my young rooster (I'm pretty sure it's a "he", 50% Barnevelder chicken, 30% Wyandotte, 20% Whateveruschickus). He's now 6 months old. Reason why I post this picture here is because I made my chickens popcorn. That's what happens when you are a BYC member. You start making popcorn, for your chickens.
Behind this white chicken (for now I call him/her Cousin It) is his fostermom (on the left), rooster Humphrey Bogart and one of the aunties.
Cousin It enjoyed the popcorn and wasn't amused I was staring at the popcorn. Because it was It's popcorn.

Chickens are livestock just like most other animals used for meat. They can be pets to some though. I don't consider mine pets.

I have to agree that it depends on who is keeping them whether they are pets or not, just like any other animal that might also be used for meat. If it has been raised as a pet, I don't see any difference between a chicken and any other sort of "pet" bird like a macaw or a cockatoo.

Mine are spoiled brats but I guess that would count as pets
D.gif

This is a picture I took today of my young rooster (I'm pretty sure it's a "he", 50% Barnevelder chicken, 30% Wyandotte, 20% Whateveruschickus). He's now 6 months old. Reason why I post this picture here is because I made my chickens popcorn. That's what happens when you are a BYC member. You start making popcorn, for your chickens.
Behind this white chicken (for now I call him/her Cousin It) is his fostermom (on the left), rooster Humphrey Bogart and one of the aunties.
Cousin It enjoyed the popcorn and wasn't amused I was staring at the popcorn. Because it was It's popcorn.

I've tried to avoid gettin' rooster, but have thirteen guineas to make up for the lack of noise ... is the popcorn just for bulk, or is there some nutritional benefit?

It's an extra. Just to give them a treat. No salt or sugar added.

Well, I'll be suren 'n get 'em some, next time I go to the store. They got a new pen and fresh perches today, and I'm gonna throw 'em a handful of golden finch seed as I head to the 'fridge for leftover turkey ... how ironic is that?

Back
Top Bottom