"are chickens really smart?"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ScoobyRoo, Nov 11, 2008.

1. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    This is our first year with chickens. We have a coop inside of an enclosed run. Right now our chickens are roosting outside(in the run of course) when it gets real cold at night will they go in the coop by themselves "or" do we have to put them in the coop? So, are chickens smart enough to get out of the freezing weather?[​IMG]

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I don't think that they will go inside bythemselves when it get real dark, because they can't see if they are already on he roost outside, so I will take the roost away from out side in cold season.

3. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    We always had to "Start" them. The first few nights we took them in and placed them on perches. Then they got it.

Helps to keep a light on til there perched. At least for starters. They go for light.

Are they smart? Well, when I collect eggs they will stand up in the nesting box to show me what they do or do not have. I think that's kinda smart!!!

Hope this helps,

Mary

4. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    Ours just go into the coop at dusk. They actually go in and out of their coop all day. They don't seem to mind the cold, but they don't like the wind. They have a perch in the run and a perch in the coop. We helped them a little the first time with the inside perch, but they are fine on their own now. G.

5. ScoobyRoo

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    That's a great idea!!! We never thought of taking down the outside roost. Some of our chickens do go in the coop, but most of them stay on the outside roost. We are expecting 20 degree weather next week, and we don't want frozen chickens.[​IMG]

6. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    lots of people (myself included) have told tons of "smart chicken" stories on here. Lots of chickens are very smart, others, not so much. But all are smarter than you would think and yes, they're smart enough to go in out of the cold. I'm not even sure that's a question of intelligence. [​IMG]

7. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Chickens are extremely smart, when compared to a rock. Moderately bright when compared to the average teenager. Einstein-level smart when compared to a Golden Retriever.

Wayne

8. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    [​IMG]

9. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Chickens are smart in there own chicken ways.... Well sometimes maybe not so smart but there chickens... what can you expect.

10. ScoobyRoo

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Good post Wayne. How come the chickens won't get out of the middle of the road when a vehicle is coming?[​IMG] Even though we have a lot of yard and gravel driveway they still go down to the road and don't move fast when someone is coming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by