Are chickens the new black?

That is not true about the Westerners. There are also night-owl Easterners.
wink.png

But dang, SussexInSeattle, you probably have the breed I can't get at my local feedstores and would sooooo love to have. SS. But I only want one chick, so I'm pretty sure it's not possible to ship one chick from WA to VT....
sad.png
big_smile.png

LOL Vermont, it would be hard to ship just one but despite my nic, I only have one SS!

I don't have BO chicks but I DO have Buff Minorcas who are supposed to be one of a few breeds used to create the Buff Orpington breed. The difference is that the BO lays a med to lg light brown or tan egg and they consume more feed doing it. The BM lays a large white egg.

Been a long time cyrixlord. I was wondering all winter how your two girls made it through that insane couple weeks of freeze and dumping snow. I was worried about them because I thought their coop was a little small for two straight weeks of confinement.

As it was, my poor chickens were locked in their barn for two solid weeks because I was afraid to let them out in their bare feet and the barn has straw and orchard grass over the whole floor. Just the lighting out there sucks since there is no power out there and just one standard size, western facing window. I think the minute I let them out, all their biological clocks started ticking and one after another began to lay. I would say a new one began to lay each week for 8 weeks following that set of storms.

So did you bring your girls in your garage or home, or did they stay out in their coop?

Naw, it's not only you westerners. It's us southeasterners, too. Our TS said last year they got one batch that was gone in a day. This year they got their first batch Wed. At 2:00 when we went in, there were very few left and we got 4. Today the hens are coming. And I'll be waiting in line to get them, because when I bought my 4, there were folks who were saying they'd just come back Friday morning, and people were waiting. The guy says he expects them not to last thru the morning.

Our feed stores don't get chicks in this town. But in a nearby town, they do, and they had the same problem last year.

Even the rare breeds are going fast.

I go to the local auction every other Sunday. I of course do not bid on anything, but I have seen nice laying hens (ones that I know the guy who has raised them) go for 15 bucks. Some of the not so nice and potentially sickly have gone for 7 to 9 bucks.

Even a nice rooster is bringing 6 to 8 bucks and this auction is in the middle of NOWHERE in a town of less than 200 people.

I have ordered 30 chicks in rare breed for this year. I plan on getting some of the old stock sold off. I will always keep my big roosters and the bantam girls and boys, but I have some "odd balls".

I will not sell my birds at an auction.

Back
Top Bottom