Are Cochins Slow to Feather In? (pic)

LaLoomis

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 13, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I got 5 cochins in my last batch of 30 chicks. All the other chicks are fully feathered but the cochins are bare on their backs. Most of the chick fluff has also rubbed off so they look pretty grizzly. They are five and half weeks old. Is this a problem?

21113_img_3471.jpg

I've been raising cochins for several years now and this looks atypical to me. At least I have never seen it in any of my birds. (Looks like these two little cockerals, BTW.)
They look healthy the best I can tell. Cochins can be pretty docile compared with some other breeds, and may end up at the bottom of the pecking order. Do you think they are getting enough to eat? Or have you noticed the others picking at them? If the others are all the same breed they may do this just because these five are "different". Make sure you are using a good start and grow with enough protein to grow in full, healthy feathers.
Good luck!

Quote:
I haven't noticed them being picked on or having trouble eating. I've also been feeding yogurt and scrambled eggs periodically for more protein. Maybe I should divide it up in multiple containers to make sure the cochins are getting their share.

Thanks for your help.

i just posted something similar in the sick bird area. one of my 5weeks old cochin's is looking like yours (also eating well and not being picked on). my other ones are looking good though.
the person who responded to me over there said it looked like a slow molter, maybe that is what is going on with yours?
i hope they start feathering up soon!

Quote:
Hi Mandalina, I took a look at your thread and there do seem to be some similarities. My little guys are pretty feisty and seem happy and healthy aside from their naked backs. I'll see what I can do about making sure they get more protein.

It's kind of funny, I ordered the Silver Laced Cochins because I thought their feathers were beautiful and I was hoping for some broody hens. I think 4 out of the 5 I got are cockerels and they're half naked to boot.
smile.png

I got 5 SL cochin from Ideal Poultry last year summer, and they took FOREVER to get their body feathers. Seriously... it was kind of ridiculous to look at them in their nakedness for so long. Their feet/leg feathers and wing feathers came in quickly, and ENORMOUSLY, so they looked like they were ready for a serious game of hockey.

Back
Top Bottom