Are color of feet indication of egg color?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by propagata, Nov 16, 2012.

1. propagata

propagata Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2012
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Hi, totally new here, and new to raising chickens too. I have a two week old Ameraucana pullet and was wondering if there's any way to tell whether she will end up laying blue or green eggs. Thought I read somewhere that the color of their feet was an indication but am not sure. Mavis has light grey feet. Anyone know? Thanks

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I think it is ear lobe color which predicts egg color, not feet.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    There is no genetic link from leg or feet color to egg color.

A true pure Ameraucana will lay blue eggs and the bottom of the feet will be white with blue slate colored legs. A pure Araucana will lay blue eggs and the bottom of their feet will be yellow with green or willow colored legs. If your hen is pure Ameraucana she will lay blue eggs.

The problem is that the hatcheries and a whole lot of people sell chickens that are not pure but still call them by those names. That creates a lot of confusion. Leg color is influenced by what other breeds may be in their background.

Unless you know for a fact that she is pure Ameraucana there really is no way to tell what color egg she will lay until she lays.

Here is a pretty good comparison of Araucana, Ameraucana, and Easter Eggers put out by the Ameraucana Breeders Association.

http://apa-abayouthpoultryclub.org/Edu_Material/Easter Eggers vs.pdf

Oregon Blues, earlobes do not predict what color of eggs will be laid. That is a very popular myth on this forum.

There is a general tendency for chicken breeds that lay white eggs to have white ear lobes and chickens that lay brown eggs to have red ear lobes, but that is not perfect. If you look through Henderson's Breed Chart, you will find several breeds where that is not true. And once you crossbreed chickens, that is totally out of the window. I have cross-breed mutt hens with white earlobes that lay brown eggs. I'll include a link so you can see what I am saying.

Henderson’s Breed Chart
    http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I agree with Ridgerunner,
    Nether leg color or earlobe color are linked to egg color.

American Gamefowl can have any color leg (White, Black, Blue, Yellow, Green etc.) and they still will lay a "White" egg.
    The Lamona chicken was a Red earlobe breed of chicken that layed a White egg.

Chris

5. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Hey there Chris not trying to be a nosy rump or sound as a know-it-all, but i think you got your last fact flip-flopped around. The Lamona is/was the only American class breed that laid white shelled eggs and has red earlobes. [​IMG] Lots of Leghorn and Dorking influences here at work

Jeff

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Your correct, I want typing what I was thinking.. lol

Chris

7. propagata

propagata Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2012
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate your expertise. Guess I'll just have to wait 'til she starts laying:)

8. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    I figured you just got crossed up you are too knowledgeable of an individual for any other excuse LOL your good to go there. Chris[​IMG]

Jeff

9. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi, totally new here, and new to raising chickens too. I have a two week old Ameraucana pullet and was wondering if there's any way to tell whether she will end up laying blue or green eggs. Thought I read somewhere that the color of their feet was an indication but am not sure. Mavis has light grey feet. Anyone know? Thanks
    ------------------
    Shank and feet color are indicative of the color of the skin on the chicken in yellow or white skinned breeds. If the shanks and feet are black, then the color on the underside of the feet is indicative, except in the few cases where the skin of the bird is also black.
    Best,
    Karen

10. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Peacomb is a sign for a blue egg layer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by