Are color of feet indication of egg color?

propagata

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 15, 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
Hi, totally new here, and new to raising chickens too. I have a two week old Ameraucana pullet and was wondering if there's any way to tell whether she will end up laying blue or green eggs. Thought I read somewhere that the color of their feet was an indication but am not sure. Mavis has light grey feet. Anyone know? Thanks

There is no genetic link from leg or feet color to egg color.

A true pure Ameraucana will lay blue eggs and the bottom of the feet will be white with blue slate colored legs. A pure Araucana will lay blue eggs and the bottom of their feet will be yellow with green or willow colored legs. If your hen is pure Ameraucana she will lay blue eggs.

The problem is that the hatcheries and a whole lot of people sell chickens that are not pure but still call them by those names. That creates a lot of confusion. Leg color is influenced by what other breeds may be in their background.

Unless you know for a fact that she is pure Ameraucana there really is no way to tell what color egg she will lay until she lays.

Here is a pretty good comparison of Araucana, Ameraucana, and Easter Eggers put out by the Ameraucana Breeders Association.

http://apa-abayouthpoultryclub.org/Edu_Material/Easter Eggers vs.pdf

Oregon Blues, earlobes do not predict what color of eggs will be laid. That is a very popular myth on this forum.

There is a general tendency for chicken breeds that lay white eggs to have white ear lobes and chickens that lay brown eggs to have red ear lobes, but that is not perfect. If you look through Henderson's Breed Chart, you will find several breeds where that is not true. And once you crossbreed chickens, that is totally out of the window. I have cross-breed mutt hens with white earlobes that lay brown eggs. I'll include a link so you can see what I am saying.

Henderson’s Breed Chart
http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Last edited:
I agree with Ridgerunner,
Nether leg color or earlobe color are linked to egg color.

American Gamefowl can have any color leg (White, Black, Blue, Yellow, Green etc.) and they still will lay a "White" egg.
The Lamona chicken was a Red earlobe breed of chicken that layed a White egg.

Chris

Last edited:
I agree with Ridgerunner,
Nether leg color or earlobe color are linked to egg color.

American Gamefowl can have any color leg (White, Black, Blue, Yellow, Green etc.) and they still will lay a "White" egg.
The Lamona chicken was a White earlobe breed of chicken that layed a Brown egg.

Chris
Hey there Chris not trying to be a nosy rump or sound as a know-it-all, but i think you got your last fact flip-flopped around. The Lamona is/was the only American class breed that laid white shelled eggs and has red earlobes.
big_smile.png
Lots of Leghorn and Dorking influences here at work

Jeff

Last edited:
Hey there Chris not trying to be a nosy rump or sound as a know-it-all, but i think you got your last fact flip-flopped around. The Lamona is/was the only American class breed that laid white shelled eggs and has red earlobes.
big_smile.png
Lots of Leghorn and Dorking influences here at work

Jeff
Your correct, I want typing what I was thinking.. lol

Chris

Last edited:
Hi, totally new here, and new to raising chickens too. I have a two week old Ameraucana pullet and was wondering if there's any way to tell whether she will end up laying blue or green eggs. Thought I read somewhere that the color of their feet was an indication but am not sure. Mavis has light grey feet. Anyone know? Thanks
------------------
Shank and feet color are indicative of the color of the skin on the chicken in yellow or white skinned breeds. If the shanks and feet are black, then the color on the underside of the feet is indicative, except in the few cases where the skin of the bird is also black.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom