Are crows a threat to my chickens?

Perhaps a larger threat than the crow or raven physically killing the chick, is avian flu or botulism.

They are garbage birds full of disease. Make sure to keep them from landing in your chicken area and/or eating their food.

Ravens and crows are protected under the migratory bird act. Under no circumstances can you injure, kill or trap them.

Sadly, if they are harrasing your chickens, aside from nets and fences, there is little you can do to stop them.

Perhaps a larger threat than the crow or raven physically killing the chick, is avian flu or botulism.

They are garbage birds full of disease. Make sure to keep them from landing in your chicken area and/or eating their food.

Ravens and crows are protected under the migratory bird act. Under no circumstances can you injure, kill or trap them.

Sadly, if they are harrasing your chickens, aside from nets and fences, there is little you can do to stop them.
My chickens chase them away when they see those crows stealing their food. They're loud and just keep coming back!

Crows are the main reason we can let our birds out in yards rather than staying in covered pens.
Sometimes, like this past winter, the crows are busy elsewhere, and we had this trio of red-tailed hawks hanging out in the woods that kept the chickens on alert all day.
In spring the crows came back and what a relief! Even the chickens seem to like hearing them swoop in cawing. They may come in noisy but they actually create peace in their wake. We love them.

* The effect may be entirely dependent on environment, like nesting vs feeding grounds. Crows are smart and pass down knowledge and habits, so some groups may have entirely different behaviors.
Our crows have never bugged our chickens or feeders in many years. It's the cardinals that steal feed, but they are so lovely to watch we don't mind.

Recently I've seen a crow near my chicken coop. I have found crow feathers in the run. Today a crow was on the other side of the run fighting with my silkie hen through the fence. Then it decided to fly inside the run and walk around. At that point it heard me knocking on the window and flew away. I have chicks. 3 weeks olds and 6 week olds. They currently live inside the coop 24/7, but I plan on moving the bigger ones out at 8 weeks old. They're silkies. Could that crow decide my 8 week olds look like a snack? Could I do something to scare the crow away? I know they're very smart birds and can't really be tricked that easily. I could try putting a net over the run. At what age would they leave my chicks alone? I really love crows, but I won't tolerate them messing with my chickens.
Crows have the mental capacity of a two-year-old, but if you hurt even just one, they will let the whole flock know and you will have a problem. Since I've watched them over the years protect all my birds, including songbirds in the winter from hawks - I know they can be a great friend to your chickens! I would cover your run for the babies sake - but if you put out food for the crows you won't have to worry. They love dry dog or cat food - they love protein. We've tried many ways to keep them around our farm, their favorite foods include the dry pet foods and suet.

I keep pullets locked up until they start laying but cockerels are released soon as they try to breed the pullets (they mature sooner ) Releasing pullets with cockerels never ends well

Back
Top Bottom