Are dirty feathers Just dirty feathers?

critterlover

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
Connecticut
I have a Buff Orphington who has had some dirty tail feathers for a while now. She is only five months old and basically had them since shortly after they were first allowed outside. I have play sand in their run, but they have dug down to dirt in a few small spots. I have checked her feathers, the shaft and around her vent and it all seems very clean (no mites). I am paranoid about mites with so much talk about them.

I use DE on a regualar basis in the coop and run since they have been outside. Since she is light in color I am guessing a few dirty feathers are more obvious. My Black Astrolorpes probably have the same thing. Does anyone else have chickens that just have dirty feathers without it being mites or any health problems??

Dirt stains, so all my birds get dirt stained by the time spring rolls around. What's best, is that because the PNW rains so much, they stain their brand new shiny feathers as soon as they moult, which is right when the mud puddles start to form.

They take a dust bath in dry dirt, but walk out into the rain BEFORE shaking off... so they turn into mud balls.

Dirt doesn't mean unhealthy. Dirt happens.

Happy to know it's not just my girl. I figured since she has stayed the same all summer, it was just dirt.

I KNOW this poor chicken thought I was nuts this morning checking all her feathers aroung her backside, LOL.

She must have been thinking 'It's just a little dirt lady so back off the private parts!'
hu.gif

I have the same problem with my Boff Orp. I assumed it was mites/lice of some sort & dusted all 7 pullets with some meds (forget the name) 3 weeks in a row. Disinfected the coop, the whole 9 yards. Those tail feathers still have the dark spots. None of the other girls have them & I'm starting to think I over-reacted. Even so, I will NEVER tell DH since he helped me clean, catch & dust.
hide.gif

So glad I'm not the only one! I have 3 BO pullets (6 months old) and their tail feathers have what looks like dirt on them as well... I, too, looked for mites/lice, but now I am thinking it's just part of their coloring. I'm new to the chicken world, so I could be wrong!

I have two white leghorns that are dirty all over on their feathers. When their baby feathers fell out they cleaned all the time. Now-no dice. I'm afraid one got dive bombed from above by another girl's arial poo attack. Anything to be concerned of there? Seems like intense sibling rivalry to poop on one another. :)

So Glad I am not alone. Most of my girls get dirty once in a while but they get clean (not sure how).

However - I have 2 White Leghorns that are perpetually dirty. They are 10 months old and they are just a mess. Its an all over dirt streaking. I have seriously considered bathing them.

I have other white hens (Americaunas) and they are bright white. I think its a breed thing.

Back
Top Bottom