Are Dividers Necessary

DeanBlanton

Hatching
Nov 4, 2023
I have a small flock (3 hens). I have always had dividers to separate the nesting boxes but all 3 chickens always lay their eggs in the same place. The location varies, but apparently they follow the leader on location. My coop was an interview store bought rig and my dividers have warped and don't want to stay in their grooves. I don't want to tack them in place since it makes it harder to change our the shavings. I just pulled them out and didn't get any eggs the next day. Will removing the separators keep my hens from laying?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I've only had chickens about 18 months and they are very regular. Typically I get 2 or 3 per day. 1 is not surprising but 0 never happens.

Thanks

no, it’s not a stupid question actually because the hens like to be in a small box-like secure hiding place to lay their egg, so they may not like having that openness without at least one divider so that the place they like to lay eggs is a good hiding place and they still feel secure you don’t have to use the same divider you can really use somethings stronger in its place. I’ve been using all kinds of random pieces of wood and plastic and other things to build stuff for my ducks, geese and chickens constantly innovating.

I'd say just leave the divider, doesnt hurt to keep it but it *may* hurt to remove it. dividers add shadow/darkness and a sense of safety which they like in a spot where they will lay eggs.

We have several boxes and one big long one that's the length of about 3 of boxes. Rarely do they use that long one, but now and then I'll find an egg there. I'm sure if we took the regular ones away, they'd use that one, or the floor, but they'd not stop laying because of it. It was maybe just coincidentally an off day for all three of them. I betcha you get 3 eggs tomorrow. 😊

I tried no dividers, wasn't a great scenario.
Put on fake egg in each nest to help spread the love.
They may still lay in the nest that was laid in first every day tho.

Back
Top Bottom