Are Drakes Aggressive?

Duckstruck

Songster
5 Years
Mar 12, 2016
East Tennessee
Hello!
I adopted a trio of 7-week-old ducklings a few weeks back from an acquaintance's grandson after the family didn't want them/lost interest in them (impulse buy for Easter.) All I know is two of them are Cayuga and one is a Pekin. I've had suspicions about one of the cayuga ducks being a drake, since it hasn't developed the loud "quack" of the females. The others have this quack, but not this one. I've had a drake before, and it was a disaster.
Before these ducks, I had 3 Pekins and 3 Buff. One of the Pekins was a drake and once they grew to maturity, beat the tar out of all the other females. It was bad; plucked and bloodied necks, grabbing and force-mating, and eventually killing one of my Buff girls from overmating (disjointed hipbone, broken leg, exc.) He brought so much pain and suffering that I sent him away to a farm with only 1 other drake as company, and they do get along. I've seen the destruction of this Pekin male, and maybe it was more serious because of his larger size.
Many people have told me my situation is uncommon, but it was a ratio of 1 drake to 5 females. If this Cayuga was a male, it would be the 1:5 again. He's also being raised alongside chicken hens and rabbits, if that means anything. Would he abuse them?
Also while we're talking about ducks, I believe one of the young Cayugas has angelwing. I've heard about wrapping her wing, but is there a certain way to help it grow in place right? Anything I could assemble at home? Thanks!

Possibly,each drake is different but from experience almost all are bit hormonal in their own way.Never have had a personal issue as bad as yours but I have had hens get seriously overbred,but that’s Whne I kept late flocks of ducks,13-14 ducks alongside gangs of drakes who had to go,never ever outnumber the hens.

If he causes issues,Seperate him at the beginning of spring till atleast mid summer.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/angel-wing-treatment.1252014/
You cannot judge every drake by one bad apple. Yes they are sex driven but I have 2 drakes one Muscovy the other a Runner My Muscovy has 4 females does not abuse them I may see a few missing head feathers but nothing bad My Runner does not abuse his 6 females so this is not the norm what you experienced. Give him time let him mature and see how it goes. Some have had their drakes get carried away and cause harm to their females that is where drake jail comes in or then rehome. But duck sex is rough so decide between rough duck sex and abuse . Sounds like your other Pekin just really zeroed in on your one female that is very sad and I am truly sorry it happened.

Last edited:
I have had 1 drake to 3 females. He mates them regularly, but is not aggressive. There is no feather loss. They don't run from him. There is no sign of distress. The back feathers of the girls are a bit frayed now that it's breeding season, but nothing alarming at all. He lets them all eat first when I fill the bowl and all drink and swim first when I fill the water. Nor is he aggressive towards me. If I enter the run he herds his ladies into the coop or into the corner away from me, but he does not go after me. He is really good with his girls.

He has shown aggression towards new ducklings that I am working on integrating to the flock, but that is a different issue and I think with his generally gentle nature that it will be ok in time when the ducklings are mature. He is just protecting his current harem, which is very much his, and he has always looked after.

I have a Cayuga drake with 7 females right now and he is actually the most tame out of all my ducks. When kids want to pet the ducks he's always the one I grab because he'll sit calmly while I hold him and let hoards of children touch him.

He always puts himself between his girls and I to protect them, but he respects me and has never made any attempt to attack. He does chase the younger ones around when I'm trying to integrate them, but after he accepts them he protects them the same.

Also, from what I've read, Pekin drakes tend to be a bit rough in the mating scene in general. I think their extra weight might have something to do with it.

In reference to the angel wing comment, I made a post a few days ago to try and help because I had a couple of ducklings with it recently. It's not a great video, but it explains how I treated it. There are a few other method around though, like cutting up a dress sock or panty hose to slip over the duck and pin the wings down.

Angel Wing Treatment

Back
Top Bottom