Are Ducks Legal To Keep Where You Live

Legal here with nearly zero restrictions. :wee

"As many as can be properly housed and cared for". Yeah the no health hazard and no nuisance as well as no processing things apply.

Legal here with nearly zero restrictions. :wee

"As many as can be properly housed and cared for". Yeah the no health hazard and no nuisance as well as no processing things apply.

Of course if I spot some injured/lost/orphaned ducklings, I'll still pick them up and carry them home with the idea of getting them to a wildlife rehabber, but keeping ducks long-term wouldn't be possible for me.

I jumped thru many hoops and paid two fees ($50 to Building Codes & another $25 to Animal Control - and that one has to be paid annually) to become a properly permitted backyard chicken keeper in my city. Now I have a duckling, having wrongly assumed that my permit would allow her.

In fact, however, the ordinance that lays out how a resident can become permitted to keep backyard chickens specifically disallows ducks (and geese and turkeys). My bad for not reading it more closely.

But since I have this adorable baby Pekin hanging out with us inside our house (she was outdoors with an adoptive Silkie mama, but when I learned that she was a fugitive from justice according to city ordinance, I moved her indoors to a nice big box with a heatlamp and big dish o' water, which she loves. I brought one of the baby chicks in to be her buddy. I brought her inside because I don't want some busybody calling the duck police on us while I figure out what to do.

I've contacted my City Council member and requested a change to the current ordinance that would allow permit holders to keep up to 2 ducks. He is going to introduce the proposed change soon, but until he does and it passes, I have an illegal duck.

For those of you who live in cities and towns, what do your local laws say about keeping ducks? Are your ducks legal or on the downlow. Have any of you successfully lobbied to have your own local ordinances changed to allow the keeping of ducks?

Thanks!
I subscribe to the “don’t ask, don’t tell” philosophy. And for the nearest neighbors I bribe with eggs. For my bees we call it “hush honey”, but I dont yet have a clever name for egg bribery.

We’re allowed up to 15. Unfortunately the HOA in our neighborhood has been a bear to deal with since they have a no poultry policy. We are not a part of the HOA since our property predated them. But unfortunately they still cause grief ever now and again. I’ve been called repeatedly on by several of my “neighbors” about my ducks. I’ve even had animal welfare check in on me due to “concerns”. Of course once they see the duck/rabbit paradise that I built for them and how all my critters come running when they see me or I call to them that usually ends that. It is strange that my neighbors can have an unlimited number of dogs that yap all day and night or cats that roam on my property threatening my creatures but a few farm animals and everyone’s heads explode.

Last edited:
Chuck and Buck are illegals. I am a sanctuary house that will harbor them, give them free food and shelter, and will not allow them to be deported.
I have “ilegal”pekin duck that I found near a gas station with is buddy but buddy did not make 24 hours after bring home. Cheese is 6 weeks old I live in hoa rental home the owner if the home is a company so if the person next-door don’t complain with are good until I move in August to my house. Any advice how to keep her/him happy and dont be loud. I cannot get another duck until I move.

Try putting a mirror in with your Pekin just make sure she can't knock it over. Other than that keeping her inside so no one can hear her is about all you can do. When you have her outside for exercise stay with her maybe if she sees you she'll not get loud.

I know this is old but I encourage people to advocate for reasonable reforms to allow more backyard poultry. Where I used to live they allowed in urbanized neighborhoods “non-quacking ducks” so muscovies would be OK. Where I live now, they allow any poultry except roosters, as long as the property is over 5,000sf and the coop is at least 20’ from the nearest residence. Point being, there are creative ways to legalize ducks in certain circumstances, at least!

Back
Top Bottom