Hatchi Wan Kenobi
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
I made a little graphic like this for geese and was asked to make one for ducks too, so here it is:

why not to keep one duck.png

The chickens aren't throwing poo at her. :gig

The point is, she doesn't speak their language and they don't speak hers. They don't share her behaviors (swimming) either. So it would be like if you were plopped down in a group of Chimpanzees and had to live with only them for company. Would you follow them around and hang out with them while they did stuff? Probably, they're your only company after all, and the jungle is dangerous so you should probably stay with them for some protection. But you have NO idea what they're communicating with each other and a lot of their behaviors make no sense to you and you're always an outsider. You're still lonely.

This is the same with the duck. Her instincts tell her she needs to be part of a flock for safety and company, so she is hanging out with the only flock she has access to. But she never really understands them, they never really understand her, and she's never going to be as happy as she would be with another duck around.

Last edited:
The Five Freedoms can be used to assess any practices in keeping animals, or birds. These are:

1. Freedom from hunger and thirst: by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.
  2. Freedom from discomfort: by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
  3. Freedom from pain, injury or disease: by prevention through rapid diagnosis and treatment.
  4. Freedom to express normal behaviour: by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal’s own kind.
  5. Freedom from fear and distress: by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.
Although it can be difficult to meet all five, with many farming systems, giving freedom to express normal behaviour is one that's reasonably easy to meet by providing ducks with duck company 👍

Back
Top Bottom