Why You Shouldn't Keep Just One Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Pyxis, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I made a little graphic like this for geese and was asked to make one for ducks too, so here it is:

why not to keep one duck.png

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Thanks!

3. Ducklover2

Ducklover2 Free Ranging

Apr 12, 2018
    Classified Information :P
    We have one duck who hangs out with our chickens. It seems to be getting along fine.:confused:

4. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    Its would be like living with only monkeys for a person

DuckyDonna and Ducklover2 like this.
  5. Ducklover2

Ducklover2 Free Ranging

Apr 12, 2018
    Classified Information :P
    The chickens aren't throwing poo at her. :gig

Jpat likes this.
  6. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    The point is, she doesn't speak their language and they don't speak hers. They don't share her behaviors (swimming) either. So it would be like if you were plopped down in a group of Chimpanzees and had to live with only them for company. Would you follow them around and hang out with them while they did stuff? Probably, they're your only company after all, and the jungle is dangerous so you should probably stay with them for some protection. But you have NO idea what they're communicating with each other and a lot of their behaviors make no sense to you and you're always an outsider. You're still lonely.

This is the same with the duck. Her instincts tell her she needs to be part of a flock for safety and company, so she is hanging out with the only flock she has access to. But she never really understands them, they never really understand her, and she's never going to be as happy as she would be with another duck around.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: