are ducks loud??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HathawayHens, Mar 6, 2011.

1. HathawayHens

HathawayHens Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    DeLand, FL
    Hi all!

I was hoping to convince my hubby to add a few ducks to our backyard chickens... they free range during the day, and I think we could rig a pond that has a drain in it for easy cleaning. The problem is, we have neighbors and don't want noisy animals (no roosters here...). Can anyone tell me how loud ducks are? Also, can they fly over fences? We have a pool... don't want them in there... LOL

2. Razorpig

Razorpig In the Brooder

Depends on the breed. Most domestics dont fly. As far as being loud, some can be just depends

3. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    Well, I can't speak for everyone but mine (Rouens and mutts) are most definitely loud, lol. I think the muscovy is a quieter duck, and Rouens can't fly. They just jump in the air and pretend to fly a foot or two [​IMG]

4. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I have muscovies,khaki campbells,runners and welsh harlequins. They are all really noisy except for the Muscovy's. They don't quack like the others they more make a hissing sound which is not loud at all.

5. treldib

treldib Songster

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    How close are your neighbors? In general, ducks are pretty noisy. The drakes are much quieter than the hens and have a soft, raspy quack instead of the LOUD, clear quack that the females make.

Some breeds are quieter than others but its really an individual thing. Cayuga's are generally thought to be the least noisy and Pekins the most.
    Our ducks are pretty much silent unless the want food or something is bothering them.

Most domestic ducks (excluding the Muscovy and Mallard) cannot fly...less so than most LF chickens can.

I suggest you read the book "Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks "

Good Luck [​IMG]

6. Lamar Estate

Lamar Estate Songster

Mar 3, 2011
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    My male Cayuga (Bunsen) is very quiet. Even if he's feeling talkative, it's a low gibber jabber mumble.

My Khaki Campbell x Cayuga mix female (Beaker) has a harsh quack. I suppose if she's upset about something, such as her love Bunsen is out of eye sight or she feels she's missing out on getting her fair share of meal worms, the few quacks she gives could be heard by a close neighbor. Fortunately, she doesn't quack a lot.

7. priss

priss Songster

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Doooon't get call ducks lol!!! Mine are so loud they hurt your ears. And they LOOOOVE to talk about everything!! Plus they will be over that fence and in the pool like they own the place...which as bossy little call ducks, they do!!!! I sure do love em though!!!
    xxxx

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    And don't get Mallards- they fly really well, and the females are LOUD!

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    If you want a quiet duck, get a muscovy. You will have to clip wings, but that is pretty easy to do.

Any other breed of duck you are going to have noise issues. The noisiest one I had was a buff. She was OBNOXIOUSLY loud. Since I live in the burbs, out of pity for my neighbors I sold her. The day after I got rid of her, my previously quiet runner started quacking her fool head off. I no longer have her either, but now one of my Welsh Harlequin hens quacks all the time.

But since all the neighbors now have obnoxious barking dogs, I am keeping the little loudmouth [​IMG]

10. If you are worried about noise then Moscovy's are your ticket. Like everyone said they make a hissing noise to communicate. Plus they are beautiful. The black ones have a green and purple sheen to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: