Are Ducks louder than Chickens?

Crazy4Fowl

Songster
9 Years
Nov 20, 2014
My duck coop
We are going to have 5 ducks in feb. We are deciding if we should sell our 8 chickens, because they are so loud and we personally like ducks better; bigger eggs, richer yoke, cuteness. Would 8 ducks be louder than 8 chickens, I know it's a hardish question but some info would help...
Thanks!

Our ducks are much louder than our chickens. But its mostly the hens.

Just thought Id say that ducks are VERY messy. They get water everwhere. Its worth it for the eggs though.

Depends on the duck.
My girls were very chatty the first year. Now, not so much, but there are times where they do make themselves heard.

The chicken, she makes noise when she feels like it.

I only have one female duck at the allotment - I can hear her from around 100 yards away every time I approach (she starts as I open the gate to the allotment) where as the hens I can't hear until I get to my own allotment (about 20 yards away) unless a rooster is crowing

Definitely depends on the breed of duck. If you get Khaki Campbell for instance, the females seem to never shut up and quack frequently. Most ducks will and can be heard for some distance and are louder than most chickens IMO.

On-the-other-hand, Muscovy ducks (some are downright ugly, again in my opinion, and some are very good looking, are about the quietest breed of poultry you can have. I have 30 some, all white, and I can sit in a chair among them and close my eyes and never know there was a duck around for miles! Quiet, friendly, fair egg layers, good mothers, and excellent table birds too.

Google French White Muscovy Ducks and you will find a short youtube clip showing these ducks and let me know what you think......

BTW, I only have the White "French Production" Muscovy Ducks and am extremely happy with these. I now raise no other poultry.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! When the ducks arrive we will still have chickens so we will find out for our selves! I hope they aren't too loud because we have neighbors near us and we are only separated by a fence.

Truth be told, even though ducks can quack rather loudly, I still prefer 'em over chickens. Even the loudest duck hen will go to sleep relatively early at night and will stay quiet until you let them out of the coop to forage. But a rooster will crow...and crow....and crow...all the time. All. The. Time.

Truth be told, even though ducks can quack rather loudly, I still prefer 'em over chickens. Even the loudest duck hen will go to sleep relatively early at night and will stay quiet until you let them out of the coop to forage. But a rooster will crow...and crow....and crow...all the time. All. The. Time.
Yep, but I don't have a rooster

OMG! My neighbor 2 houses up has a rooster and I'm ready to kill it. ALL night long he crows! He crows during the day too but really picks up once it gets dark and only stops from 11pm-2am. I can hear him inside my house.

That neighbor also has 10 or so chickens and I rarely hear them. Everyone once in a while one will start clucking but it isn't bad at all. My 4 girls are atill pretty young but they have a constant chatter going while free ranging my back yard. When they are in my garage I can hear them if I stand out front. I don't think they are loud but only one of them is a loud talker. My boys would talk too but they weren't nearly as chatty. My chatter box is my white layer.

My neighbors didn't even know we had my male ducks till they were 5 months old. He saw them while hanging Christmas lights. They were pekins which are suppose to be pretty loud, maybe because they were boys no one noticed? Anyway... You will find out soon how loud they are.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom