Are Ducks Night Blind?

dpenning

Crowing
8 Years
Jul 20, 2013
Blue Ridge, TX
So we went to dinner last night and it was already dark when we got home and I went to lock up my ducks. When I went outside I'm not sure if I spooked them or if they had someothing chasing them as they all went into the water (the house is quite a ways away from their pen and the pond). Two of them flapped their wings and paddled/flew to the middle of the pond. Typically they just stay in the area right in front of their pen. As I walked down, the 4 that were on the edge just waddled into their pen like they usually do when I lock them up while it is still light out. The two that spooked to the middle of the pond went over to the dam and sat there. When I hit them with my red lense light they started walking toward their pen instead of swimming across the pond! Silly birds. Anyway, If I turned my light off of t hem they froze, put the light back in front of them and they continued to waddle. So I just lit up their path and let them waddle home.

I thought it was interesting. I haven't seen them intentionally go into the middle of the pond, I guess they will slowly figure it out but it is funny to me they would walk home. I did think them freezing when the light moved off of them was interesting and made me wonder if their vision is that much worse at night than mine?

Asked my friend »Google« and it pointed me to this article on Ducks Unlimited.
Although the author does not clearly say »yes« or »no« it seems that wild ducks can see relatively good at night.
My five Indian Runners can definitely see very well in the dark, but they freak out if there is no light during the night in their house. That's probably the result of being raised a part of their lives in a farm store…

Something must have been out there and spooked them. I went out after dark last night and they were all in their pen waiting for me to close the door.

I’ll put a game cam out. I don’t like where I moved their pen as it is too close to the predator line of trees but I couldn’t get the, to go to the pond otherwise.

Always best to lock them up before dark or if you know your not going to get home till after to put them up before you leave. Thankfully mine all go in on their own. [I still have to be out there to lock the door though. ] Predators around here are just waiting for me to make a mistake.

Always best to lock them up before dark or if you know your not going to get home till after to put them up before you leave. Thankfully mine all go in on their own. [I still have to be out there to lock the door though. ] Predators around here are just waiting for me to make a mistake.
I’m thinking about getting another dusk to dawn automated pop door like I use on my chicken coop. Just not sure if they would use it in a timely fashion.

Back
Top Bottom