are EE's good broody hens ?

FortWorthChicks

Songster
10 Years
Nov 21, 2009
Fort Worth
I ask because I have just ordered some laying pullets expecting chicks on the 28th and today found one of my hens who has been slacking big time on the egg production on the nest. I thought nothing of it and came back later to collect her egg; She was gone from the nest but she had pulled off alot of feathers and looks like she is getting ready to brood.

It's bad timing of coarse with all the chicks on the way but maybe I will put a few of my Light Brahma x silkie eggs under her and see if they will hatch. That way if she decides to leave the nest after a few days I won't be so disappointed.

Mine haven't so far and I've read anywhere from CAN be broody, RARELY broody and NEVER broody. Sorry can't help more than that!

Never had a broody EE in three years!
hmm.png

I have had my EE's since spring of 2008 and they have not gone broody. But then again they are hatchery chickens which are bred to be 'anti' broody.

I have had Americaunas for several years now..and they have gone broody once..UGHHHH..however, my Partridge Cochins are the broodiest things I have ever seen..

In all the years I've been keeping chickens, I've had a total of five hens go broody. Four of them were EE's. Make of that what you will!

Kathleen

ETA: I suppose that information is rather useless without my telling you how long I've been keeping chickens! Almost thirty years! But, I haven't been breeding chickens, just buying new chicks almost every year and raising them. And for the most part (other than some Buff Orps and Black Australorps), the breeds I've kept aren't known for going broody. The Salmon Faverolles I'll be getting this year will be my first real breeding project (and I hope some of them will go broody!).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom