are eggs in the center of the nest the newer or older eggs?

Chickiemom25

Crowing
12 Years
May 13, 2011
North Alabama
My guinea hens and ducks lay their eggs in a pattern I have seen.. but I cant tell if the new eggs are laid in the center of the nest and older eggs pushed out, or if the newer eggs are rolled out to the exterior of the circle. Anyone know for sure?

My guinea hens and ducks lay their eggs in a pattern I have seen.. but I cant tell if the new eggs are laid in the center of the nest and older eggs pushed out, or if the newer eggs are rolled out to the exterior of the circle. Anyone know for sure?

If you want to know which ones are which, and Mama will let you, put a number or date on each egg (using a regular pencil) as you find it. I wish I'd done this with our first clutch, 'cause then I would have known which ones mama swiped from her sisters' next-door nests!

I don't know but this is my first batch. I thought it was funny MROO was talking about stealing eggs. I have 3 silkie hens sitting and anytime 1 takes her 10 minute break to eat , drink and poo. The other 2 sneak her eggs under them. All 3 do it

I have 3 silkie hens sitting and anytime 1 takes her 10 minute break to eat , drink and poo. The other 2 sneak her eggs under them. All 3 do it
That's a good reason to separate your setting Mama - or at least pencil-mark the eggs you know belong in her nest. I knew we had some "borrowed" eggs, so I set up my incubator, just in case Pepper walked away from nearly-finished eggs. I'm glad I did, 'cause she did ... and we woke up this morning to a surprise baby in the 'bator!
Meet Jackie - short for Hi-Jacked Egg!
Jackie - HiJacked  Egg.jpg

If you want to know which ones are which, and Mama will let you, put a number or date on each egg (using a regular pencil) as you find it. I wish I'd done this with our first clutch, 'cause then I would have known which ones mama swiped from her sisters' next-door nests!
unfortunately there are 50 eggs in the guinea nest and I have 42 slots in the incubator.. so I am trying to figure which to incubate.

Try candling the eggs, any damaged ones, funky shapes, or ones with bigger air cells (these will be older) don't incubate. If there's already development but no one has been setting on them, leave those out too, probably wouldn't do well in the incubator. If you still have too many, maybe weigh them and only incubate the biggest eggs.

Back
Top Bottom