Are female Coturnix quail quiet?

fiddleblue

Songster
10 Years
Jul 19, 2009
I read that male Coturnix quail tend to crow a lot in mating season. What about the females, which is probably all I'll have: are they quiet? Compared to chicken hens, for instance, how quiet or noisy? I want to make sure I don't annoy my neighbors since the place I plan to house the quail is right next to my neighbor's fence (I live on a small city lot of 4000 sq ft).

Deborah

It depends this past November when i got rid of my last male because he was noisy. The females would call every morning around sunrise (for a few weeks) to the point of me having to go outside to shush them.

They have been quite lately though.

I have been wondering what the sounds are that I am hearing, as I am brand new to quail. I have 6, with the thought that I had got 5 female and 1 male. Several bad injuries later and the quail being split up in cages of 3,1,1,1 3 that were fine together and I think are definately female, 1 injured unknown sex, 1 little "male" or so I was told(he had the zip tie on the leg), and 1 injured unknown sex. The 2 injured unknowns were supposed to be female. After the first one healed up I put "her" back in with the other 3 females and shortly after she was mounting every girl that walked by, so back out HE came. Now I have 3 females in cage, 1 KNOWN male, 1 supposed male with zip tie on leg, and another still healing that is unknown sex. All evening when I am home I hear these jurassic park sounds from them, I am under impression its the male crowing, its loud, and I have a feeling I have several doing it. I have seen 2 do it, and never the one that was supposed to be male when I got them. So is it the males crow loud all day, and the females are pretty quiet? This will help me determine who is who, and I can get rid of some boys. The 3 that are caged together gave me 3 eggs yesterday, so I can almost guarantee 3 hens are in there.

Last edited:
My coturnix are WAY quieter than my chickens. Even my little roo makes less noise. He only "crows" about twice a day.(his crow is quieter than my hens egg songs) My Coturnix hens talk allot, but are extremely quiet about it, lol. They make little "boinging" sounds. We keep the quail in our house mostly and they don't disturb me at all.(I do however have two dogs, I'm used to noise)

Last edited:
OK so now after you all explaining what the sounds are that they make, my 2 injured ones are males, they both crow and wont STOP with the "chocolate pie" lol the 3 in cage together are all females, and my small aggressive one not so sure, no crowing, just hangs out but this is the only one that was "Supposed" to be male. Not sure what to do. I will probably rehome the 2 def males, possibly rehome to the fridge, and cant figure out whats up with the other, trying to figure out if female/male

OK so now after you all explaining what the sounds are that they make, my 2 injured ones are males, they both crow and wont STOP with the "chocolate pie" lol the 3 in cage together are all females, and my small aggressive one not so sure, no crowing, just hangs out but this is the only one that was "Supposed" to be male. Not sure what to do. I will probably rehome the 2 def males, possibly rehome to the fridge, and cant figure out whats up with the other, trying to figure out if female/male

do you have any pics of the one in question?

I will take one when I get home from work this evening. Its a small tibetan tuxedo, and its the one that came with a blue zip tie on leg that I was told WAS the roo i was getting. Very pretty. I am just pretty sure its the aggressor I had in the cage. I had 2 get beat up pretty bad, and this little one ended up with the blood all over its face and chest from what I am guessing is from putting the beating on the 2. So I put in seperate cages the 2 injured and the small one. After around a week I tried putting the small one back in with the 3 females one evening and come the next morning I once again had one beat up in the cage. So back out with the little one, no more attacks since. If its male, he hasnt crowed yet, and if its female, its very small for a full grown. I have had them almost a month, and they were between 2 and 3 months old when I got them.

Back
Top Bottom