are fish in the swan pond ok?

Rach1966

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 10, 2008
East TN
I have a large pond (dug out by a large bulldozer and would guess larger than 1/4 acre size but really deep) and I have 3 pair of swans, several geese and ducks. my que is, I want to put some fish in the pond and want to make sure that what ever I get will not hurt my swans (babies due next week). I put 5 Koi in it last year (only see them every once in a while) and 6 grass carp in it the year before when I had duck week problem. When the fish truck come, my choices are Channel Catfish, largemouth bass, redear, bluegill (bream), minnows, black crappie, grass carp, koi. Now, these all are not available at all times. last time they were out of the large koi and only had small ones and they told me the big ones would eat the small ones so I didn't get them.
we will not be fishing in the pond, so they are just there to swim around.

I would stay away from catfish ... I know a friend that's feeds them dead baby chicks. Large mouth bass I'd pass on too. I'd keep only fish that either didnt eat other fish or stayed small enough not to injury baby ducks and cygnets. But I am no expert..... Sure others will chime in.
Personally I'd vote for koi....... Since you aren't fishing in your pond. But don't know if huge koi may eat small birds?....

If they use Koi, then they can always sell off the extras to make some money. The bigger the Koi the more they are worth. Plus with the bright colors, predators like hawks and owls will keep some of the population down.

Back
Top Bottom